• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Birdstrike

Atlantic City
Principal Cancels High School Veterans Event: Too Political

If you care to send this prick an email, like I did, he can be reached at [email protected]
------------------------------
Forest Lake Event Canceled; Too Political

Forest Lake High's principal said the decision was spurred by concerns that the presentation was more political than educational.

By ALLIE SHAH , Star Tribune
Last update: March 25, 2008 - 8:27 AM

A national tour featuring decorated veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan won't be stopping at Forest Lake Area High School today as planned, after school leaders abruptly canceled the visit.

Steve Massey, the school principal, said the decision to cancel was prompted by concerns that the event was becoming political rather than educational and therefore was not suitable for a public school.
He said the school had received several phone calls from parents and others, some of whom indicated that they may stage a protest if the event took place.

"The event was structured to be an academic classroom discussion around military service. We thought we'd provide an opportunity for kids to learn about service in the context of our history classes," Massey said. "As the day progressed, it became clear that this was becoming a political event ... which would be inappropriate in a public setting.

"We decided to cancel," Massey said. Organizers of the National Heroes Tour then scrambled to relocate the event to the American Legion building in Forest Lake. The visit, which U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Stillwater, had been scheduled to attend, is sponsored by Vets for Freedom, a national organization run by Pete Hegseth, a 1999 graduate of Forest Lake Area High School who served with the 101st Airborne in Iraq in 2005-06.

"I think it's extremely unfortunate that a school would bow to the political pressure of outside groups and not bring in a veterans organization," Hegseth said. "Are we saying that patriotism and duty and honor have no place in our public schools?" So far, the tour has visited one school, albeit a private school.

The stop in Forest Lake was supposed to involve about 150 social studies students and was going to be closed to the public but open to the media. But the last-minute venue change left Hegseth wondering how many people would actually show up today.

"I don't know if we'll have a crowd," he said. "We changed venues, but we don't have the ability to publicize it." He said he had talked with school officials ahead of time and assured them that the presenters would not make any political statements.

"We had a number of conversations at the beginning of this to make sure our message was in keeping with the traditions of a public school," Hegseth said.

"We have not endorsed a presidential candidate. We're not in the business of doing that." According to the Veterans for Freedom website, the national tour "is about supporting our troops, honoring their commitment and rallying the country to complete the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

At this critical juncture in our country, we need Americans, lawmakers and the media to fully recognize -- and appreciate -- the sacrifice of our brave military and the dramatic success they have achieved, especially in Iraq with the new counterinsurgency strategy."

When asked whether the part about "rallying the country to complete the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan" could indeed be construed as political, Hegseth said that the group agreed not to advocate about the "progress made in Iraq and Afghanistan."

"It's Iraq and Afghan veterans talking about what they saw and what they did there, and about what it means to put on the uniform of your country," he said. The veterans started their bus tour in San Diego on March 14 and will end April 9 in New York City.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/16971116.html

Last edited:
So much for teaching the next generation to think for themselves, never mind the virtues of duty and sacrifice.

I think the problem stems from the fact that Veterans for Freedom is a 527 group that is bank-rolled by Republicans, so it sort of flies in the face of their statement on their website that says they are non-partisan. I'm not saying that it is wrong for them to be funded by Republicans and spread a pro-war message, but it doesn't seem like they're real open about it. Its not the war itself that is "too political", but the group that was going to present was too political. Before you rail against me - ask yourself if you really want public schools inviting groups with political agendas to talk to your kids. Especially if no opposing viewpoint is presented - I sure would be pissed if I had a kid and found out he was forced to go to a Code Pink presentation.

Better solution? Ask a local vet if he or she would kindly talk to the kids in the classroom. Same goal accomplished without the political muck distorting the picture.

I bet code pink would get a pass.

Another group of "open minded" liberals wanting to shout down any "free" speech which doesn't agree with thier point of view. Classic.

Being proud of military service doesn't make some one "pro-war". The last thing we want is to go to war. However, when we go we would like have our hands untied and win. We don't want surrender.

Public schools have sex ed taught by planned parenthood. Generally there is no opposing view presented then. To be consisntent, do you disagree with planned parenthood teaching classes in schools? You don't get more political then that group.

I will admitt that the founders of this organization really don't now about what's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan. One was reconmended for the MOH, another won a real bronze star "v". But I suppose some high school teacher, who may never have served, is the true bed of knowledge on the war.

Free speech goes both way. Not just one way. What the school should have done is provide an open debate with both sides. Tell the protestors to pack salt and allow a true open discussion.

I bet code pink would get a pass.

Another group of "open minded" liberals wanting to shout down any "free" speech which doesn't agree with thier point of view. Classic.

I'm sure they were liberals that started the up roar, but whoever tipped the prinicple off the end result is the same: they are a political group presenting themselves as being non-partisan. They are a 527 organization.

If the uproar was about a group of veterans that had no affiliation to a political group and were just voluntarily talking to the students then I would be pissed too.

Being proud of military service doesn't make some one "pro-war". The last thing we want is to go to war. However, when we go we would like have our hands untied and win. We don't want surrender.

Look, the group advocates to stay in Iraq and Afghanistan until they deem the mission a success; that may not be pro-war but it is pro-something. If they don't have an opposing perspective and they have a linear agenda they are not representing the image of a non-partisan group. Period.

Public schools have sex ed taught by planned parenthood. Generally there is no opposing view presented then. To be consisntent, do you disagree with planned parenthood teaching classes in schools? You don't get more political then that group.

Of course I wouldn't want them teaching in public schools. I clearly stated I wouldn't want any group with a political agenda to teach in public schools.

So I'm going to turn this around and ask you since you don't want Planned Parenthood teaching in public schools, to be consistent shouldn't you disagree with this Veterans for Freedom group teaching in a public school? After all, they are a political group; this has been well established.

I will admitt that the founders of this organization really don't now about what's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan. One was reconmended for the MOH, another won a real bronze star "v". But I suppose some high school teacher, who may never have served, is the true bed of knowledge on the war.

A good teacher with actual experience in the war would be wonderful, I wish I had professors like this. But they have to walk the fence while in the classroom. It is irresponsible, whether Conservative or Liberal to slant a history lesson towards your perspective.

Free speech goes both way. Not just one way. What the school should have done is provide an open debate with both sides. Tell the protestors to pack salt and allow a true open discussion.

While that would be nice, I guarantee the helicopter parents would still find some reason to bitch and moan about even that.

I agree with most of what you say.

If planned parenthood is allowed to teach sex ed, which they are, then this veterans group should be allowed to present their case in school. Since this veterans group is being blocked so should all other political groups. It seems like schools pick and choose who they allow in their schools. Free speech always seems to be one way.

I think in the end this principal doesn't have a set of ball$. He needs to allow true free speech in the school. He needs to not be a coward and be crushed by the anti-war protestors. Be a man.

Well you'll probably never see public schools applying a universal policy dealing with the issue. A lot of people want less federal involvement in public schools (I assume Conservatives would like to see this) but that comes with the caveat that these decisions remain local to the attitudes of the populace. I believe it was Missouri's governor that banned Planned Parenthood from teaching but of course in more Liberal states that probably wouldn't be the case.

As far as free speech in schools go, that is a murky area. Students don't have free speech in schools. The Supreme Court heard that case in Alaska where a student held up a "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" sign at a school event and he was suspended; he wasn't even on school grounds during school hours and the Court still upheld his suspension. Its a totally different ruleset when you're in that system.

And I don't really think the issue is the Principle's lack of testicles, its really about running an ethical operation. I believe it would be unethical to force students into a gym to listen to a one-sided debate. Brass balls are useless without a sound mind.

And lets keep another thing in mind: the group was disinvited, which means at some point they were invited. I suppose thats farther than a lot of schools get, so give the guy a little credit.

The reason his suspension was held up is because he used "4" and not "for". He obviously needs more edumacation.

I am all for states rights and further down to local rights. The less federal involvement the better. No one knows what is right for a state better then that state.

I look at colleges wanting the Marines off their campii while they allow every "minority" group to have there say. Minorities are not just black, but gay, transgender, blah, blah, blah. Many of these campii dis-allow Christian fraternities from forming because they say they are not "inclusive". Those are the things that drive people like me nuts. Don't lecture me about "inclusiveness" while you are "un-inclusive" of Christian groups (I'm using you for the campuses, not you). No religious group should be blocked from forming an organization.

This principle should have gone all the way and allowed the war vets to speak. That would have been true leadership.

Latest resources

Back