• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Primary Students @ Lewis University

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They're very close to ARR & DPA. I wasn't trying to put down Lewis' program. Just that how these two managed to be so oblivious to the very basic stuff of becoming a private pilot, when I'm sure most of us were just dieing to make our first solo, these guys didnt even know about it!

Just like any other 141 school it has its pros and cons. I have never had a problem with the program and as far as I know Lewis produces some very well trained pilots. I can guarantee a stage 3 private probably knows more than a stage 3 commercial down at SIU (cheap shot to siucavflight). Please tell me you are joking when asking "how you can have a 141 school at an uncontrolled field blows my mind." Are you serious? That is a pretty dumb question coming from a CFI/II. The two students you encounter Metro were probably maintenance students. I have learned the maintenance guys like to walk around and pretend they are pilots.

LewisU_Pilot said:
Just like any other 141 school it has its pros and cons. I have never had a problem with the program and as far as I know Lewis produces some very well trained pilots. I can guarantee a stage 3 private probably knows more than a stage 3 commercial down at SIU (cheap shot to siucavflight). Please tell me you are joking when asking "how you can have a 141 school at an uncontrolled field blows my mind." Are you serious? That is a pretty dumb question coming from a CFI/II. The two students you encounter Metro were probably maintenance students. I have learned the maintenance guys like to walk around and pretend they are pilots.

I know it is possible to have one, but as a student why would you want to go to a 141 school and fly out of an uncontrolled field. I have had many ocassions to work with "Lewis U" pilots, and as a whole I was not impressed, not for the 30K a year price tag, for 30K a year I would want a control tower.

And dont worry I am not saying anything good about where I went to school ( although we did have a control tower at KMDH so at least those students know how to work with a control tower.)

siucavflight said:
That is on par with Lewis, it has to be one of the worst aviation schools around. Even worse than where I went(see name). Lewis produces some of the worst, most dangerous pilots I have ever run across, how you can have a 141 school at an uncontrolled field blows my mind.

Had the privilege to fly with two or three former grads from there over time and needless to say I wasn't impressed at all to put it mildly. To the defense of the above mentioned school "lemons" exist and come through many different schools/programs. To be fair it is better to judge one's skill and ability level independent from where they were trained and schooled at. The "school tag" isn't fair in all cases, better to put it aside and judge the ability and skill level of each particular person regardless of whether they went to Embry Diddle, Harvard, USC, or Hent State.

siucavflight said:
That is on par with Lewis, it has to be one of the worst aviation schools around. Even worse than where I went(see name). Lewis produces some of the worst, most dangerous pilots I have ever run across, how you can have a 141 school at an uncontrolled field blows my mind.

Hmmm i've seen crop dusters fly a few feet off the ground and pull up just in time to avoid a row of trees, bush pilots do things i didn't think were possible. But those 152/172 pilots flying out of a uncontrolled airport, i draw the line there.

Give me a break.

Ok so the whole University is going to pack up and move because it does not have a tower? Or maybe they should just build one (because they can just do that and all). Having a 141 school at an uncontrolled airport must not be too horrible, i do not believe Lewis has had any midairs or accidents related to an uncontrolled field.

As far as the program, it has come a long way. It is a private school, students (tuition) keep them in business. The aviation program just about takes anyone, which sometimes leads to students who don't quite "get it" or really do not want to be in it. They usually get weeded out after the first semester/year.

The flight schools provide the tools/knowledge, what the students do with it is up to them. I've flown with exceptional LU pilots, poor LU pilots, and everything inbetween. Just like the purdue, SIU, ERAU pilots ive flown with

Well said bird... Lewis also has a tower(looks more like a camper) one weekend out of the year. You should see all the NASCAR traffic we get. Rumor has it that Lewis will have a tower on the field by 07.

BirdCatcher said:
Hmmm i've seen crop dusters fly a few feet off the ground and pull up just in time to avoid a row of trees, bush pilots do things i didn't think were possible. But those 152/172 pilots flying out of a uncontrolled airport, i draw the line there.

Give me a break.

Ok so the whole University is going to pack up and move because it does not have a tower? Or maybe they should just build one (because they can just do that and all). Having a 141 school at an uncontrolled airport must not be too horrible, i do not believe Lewis has had any midairs or accidents related to an uncontrolled field.

As far as the program, it has come a long way. It is a private school, students (tuition) keep them in business. The aviation program just about takes anyone, which sometimes leads to students who don't quite "get it" or really do not want to be in it. They usually get weeded out after the first semester/year.

The flight schools provide the tools/knowledge, what the students do with it is up to them. I've flown with exceptional LU pilots, poor LU pilots, and everything inbetween. Just like the purdue, SIU, ERAU pilots ive flown with

Whoa, you have flown with good ERAU students????? Where, find me one.

Latest resources

Back