Pricey crew meals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

Usually we are able to get a crew car and go pick up a bite but lately we've had to ask the fbo to arrange to have sandwiches waiting for us - grab and go.
I guess I did not realize what $$ this entailed, one stop was 36$ for a sandwich and I raised my eyebrows but the last one was over 100$ for two sandwiches and I was pretty stunned. (A central Tx airport.)
Is there some trick to get a meal that crew can afford? Seems like the fbo's are confusing out pocketbooks with those of the rich and famous we fly for.

subway or something and carry them with you

Some FBOs have delivery set up with a local Jason's/McCallister's Deli or Panera Bread...even with delivery charge it doesn't end up being any more than $10-12 per boxed lunch (sandwich with side and cookie).

I learned to call the catering company myself. I ordered through Epps at PDK one day and they charged me $20.00 just to make the phone call.

... and to handle it, keep it in their refrigerator that they pay for and power, etc.

The mark-up is usually steeper than it should be, but I don't believe FBOs should be handling catering requests and refrigerated storage for free.

Usually we are able to get a crew car and go pick up a bite but lately we've had to ask the fbo to arrange to have sandwiches waiting for us - grab and go.
I guess I did not realize what $$ this entailed, one stop was 36$ for a sandwich and I raised my eyebrows but the last one was over 100$ for two sandwiches and I was pretty stunned. (A central Tx airport.)
Is there some trick to get a meal that crew can afford? Seems like the fbo's are confusing out pocketbooks with those of the rich and famous we fly for.

Like fuel, ramp fees, hotels, sim training, etc...I'd always ask the price before just buying.

Depending on your day, sometimes ya just do what ya gotta do...but I'm not paying $100 for a sandwich...yeah, the billionaire can afford it, but thats just plain stupid!

CA1900 said:
The mark-up is usually steeper than it should be, but I don't believe FBOs should be handling catering requests and refrigerated storage for free.

I do...provided you buy their minimum fuel uplift or pay their ramp fee.

A fridge for catering ain't any different than a GPU or lav cart in that regard.

Have your wife get up at 0430, make you breakfast and a nice healthy lunch to take with you. You know, like The Beaves Mom used to do. :)

I do...provided you buy their minimum fuel uplift or pay their ramp fee.

A fridge for catering ain't any different than a GPU or lav cart in that regard.

I second that with the belief if the catering company bills the FBO and they put it on the bill then I can see the fee (I guess) but if you give them a C.C number and they just order and store it then I believe a tip should suffice.

Thanks. Might just use it as an opportunity to slim down a bit!
Today, 12hr day with q.t. at all stops - no time to go out or order in, took a sammich from home. Usually boss's credit card will cover meals but I would get more than furrowed brows if I kept up the 100$ lunches.

Latest resources

Back