• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pretty neat DC-3 flyby pictures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
During my cargo haulin days, some of the more remote fields we'd go into we would make low passes down the runways to scare off any wildlife lurking about. had a Captain who would go so low at one airport he returned to base one evening having clipped a fence post at the end of runway.

So far in my flying career I have nearly killed:

Dogs
Kids with weed eaters on the runway
An old woman with Alzheimer's (sp?)

The kid with the weed eater was at a public airport and he was wearing faded jeans and a grey t-shirt (as close to runway camo as you can get). His sunglasses saved his life. 1st day on the job, he had no radio, no high-vis colors, nothing. I guess nobody told him to watch his azz while on the runway. Very last-second go around. The old lady was in her 80s, private airport. I was in a 520 commander landing on a 2000' strip when she wandered right out in to the runway for some reason. Had to go around.

I fly out of private strips a lot in my free time and the subject comes up from time to time about low passes. My point, and I will stick to it no matter who is asking, is that I like to make it clear that I am in the area and about to land. Going down for a look and to make some noise is a good idea, IMO. Gives people a chance to round up their animals and grandmas, and put the maintenance equipment down for a second. I don't expect to pull objects out of the ground, but I am an advocate of a good low pass at private and quiet public airports; I think of it as a legitimate safety issue. Total bonus that I also enjoy it.

Latest resources

Back