presolo student taxing an airplane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scottn2flying

Can a pre-solo student taxi his airplane from the hanger to the terminal by himself? The reason I ask this is because the other day one of my students did this while I was on a flight with another student. The student did however, ask the manager at the FBO if it was ok and he said yes. When I found out I tried to explain to the student and the manager that techically he wasn't legal to do that, but the manager insisted that it was ok. I get my side of the arguement from FAR 61.87, looking at the defination of solo flight. The manager however, stood on the stance that how can a A&P go get a plane and bring it to the maintence hanger without eveing having a pilot's license? What do you guys think? And personally I do stand be to corrected and would like to know what the correct answer is, if there is one.

Of course its legal. How do you think that mechanics without pilots licences move some airplanes? Did you give instructions on engine start proceedures? Did you give instruction on taxiing techniques? He can't log that time, but theres nothing that says that you can't taxi if its not for the purpose of flight.

isn't there some reg that says something along the lines of anyone can taxi a plane if there is no intent to actually fly it? I know a&ps can taxi planes with no liscense, i believe in some cases the airline they work for provides them with ground training on how to taxi, but there's not liscense requirement.

There is no FAA requirement for taxing an airplane of any kind, other than airport procedures. You can let your grandmother taxi a 747 if you wish.

Airlines have liscenses they issure for Run/Taxi, but that is only for the compay.

Now obviously you need to know what you are doing, but I wouldn't have a problem with a student taxing from one open area to another.

not being an instructor, and not really knowing the regs letter by letter, i would base my reply on where the student was in his/her training as well as your comfort with the student's ability to taxi. i know he moved it w/out you on the ground, but had they asked you if they could do it, i'd take both of these into account. as for me, i wouldn't let them do it. why risk having them screw up and that reflecting on you? not worth it.

This student had 3 hours of flight training when he did this. I've told my student that apparently it is ok for him to taxi his airplane and he asked if he could bring passangers with him? I guess my next question would be, if he runs into something or whatever will I have to pay the consequences?

Off hand, I would say no, because they are not passengers on a flight. The movement must be for the purpose of flight. You cannot be held at fault if it is a ground reposition only.

Now, if its a controlled field, and there is a runway incursion involved, then you may get involved and be required to give remedial training in ground ops.

I've never done it, but I've known instructors to put an endoresement in a student's logbook to the effect that they've received instruction on taxi and airport procedures.

Despite the regs, you may want to check your flight school's insurance policy. As we all know, insurance minimums are built off of FAA minimums and they're usually much more stringent than the FAA. I would bet that if your presolo student wrecked the aircraft while taxiing it around by him/herself then the FBO would run into trouble with the insurance company. I doubt they consider it an insured aircraft at that point.

something to think about anyway...

Grove

Latest resources

Back