Presidential TFR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hawker800

I have not had to deal with one of these for several years. It looks as if I may have to later this week. Can anyone that has dealt with one of these lately provide any suggestions on dealing with it.
Thanks in advance for all info:

I'm not sure what you are looking for but I will give it a shot. You need to read the TFR and comply with it. The TFR will give you dimensions and times. Make sure these are not in conflict with your arrival or departure times. It is OK to physically be at the airport during these times. Be aware that where there is one Presidential TFR there will be a second TFR for where the President is going. Also, be aware Presidential TFR's can and will affect surrounding smaller airfields.

Deal with it like you would any other TFR. Know the dimesions, times, dates, etc, and AVOID going thru.

In general, there are two rings for a presidential TFR, one that is 8-10nm and one that is 30nm.

The small ring pretty much shuts you down unless you are scheduled 121/135. Often that ring either literally moves with the president if he's driving or it pops up in different locations depending on where he is at different times.

The 30 nm ring is usually there the whole time and seems like it's mostly just to keep loitering VFRs away. You can expect to be sent right through it if you are IFR. If you are VFR, you can expect to be allowed through it if you are departing from or arriving to an airport within the boundary of the airspace, and sometimes they will allow VFR transitions as well.

If you are talking about getting into or leaving PSM, it looks like you'll be shut down from just before noon until just after 4 tomorrow (Tuesday). As always, read the TFR because they are all a bit different, and FSS will have the most up to date information.

AOPA's website has a good tool for making some since of the ridiculous wording in the TFR's. I don't think you have to be a member.

I've dealt with these many times and agree with all the above. One caveat...don't rely on the times of the posted TFR as they are only an estimate. I planned a trip around the times of a Presidential TFR and checked in with approach 15 min after it was supposed to have ended and was told I was being diverted. On final to my alternate they cleared me back to my original destination.
Regards,
Hvy

Latest resources

Back