Preparing to Interview/Apply

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RTRUDER

I am approaching competitive minimums for the regional airlines and have started to study/review everything I have ever learned. Needless to say, I am getting overwhelmed. Do you all have any suggestions on the best books, tools, etc. to prepare for interviewing?

RTRUDER said:
I am approaching competitive minimums for the regional airlines and have started to study/review everything I have ever learned. Needless to say, I am getting overwhelmed. Do you all have any suggestions on the best books, tools, etc. to prepare for interviewing?
You are doing the right thing by starting to study/ review. Check aviationinterviews.com and willflyforfood.cc, if you haven't. There is a lot of gouge out there. But don't overwhelm or stress yourself out before you even get an interview. You'll be a wreck when it comes time to perform. I learned that the hard way. Chill, you've got a little time.

Couldn’t agree more with the above post. Go to aviationinterviews.com and sign up for the free membership. Download and read the most recent gouge from where you plan to interview. Cut and paste any new questions you find in each additional gouge into a word document as you go through them. Reference every single question you find. Type the answers into the huge gouge. That will result in the most popular questions that the company interviewers like to ask being rote knowledge to you. You use this technique and you will most likely get hired.

Thanks for the replies. I am a member at Aviation Interviews. I was just wondering if there is good source for a broad stusy/preparation. I will definately study for each individual airline I am invited to interview at. I guess they are all about the same when it comes to what they ask, so i can just make one giant gouge of the most common questions.

Preparation:
Aviationinterviews.com
AIM
FAR 91
ATP Gleim
IFR Oral Exam Guide
Systems of last Twin AC Flown
Sim Prep

Be fully prepared before applying for the position, that way if you get a call and they tell you come in 3 days you will be ready. When you go to the interview, dont stress too much on what color suit, shirt, or tie you are going to wear. A lot of people seem to focus too much on that. Be yourself, don't be nervous, be honest, do a sim prep if a sim is involved. Look and act confident, stick to your answers, and use good judgement. Remember safety is always first, the customer second. Walk into the interview thinking that whatever decision they make it's out of your control. Talk to the interviewer like you are talking to anyone else. I know this is easier said than done, but after you go through a few interviews, its only going to get easier and easier. Apply to some non aviation companies to do some practice interviews or do mock interviews. This has always worked for me.

Last edited:
I recommend getting your hands on a copy of The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual by Greg Brown and Mark Holt. Great book for someone who has little or no turbine knowledge. As far as preparing for an interview, try a book called Checklist for Success by Cheryl Cage. You can usually find a used version of it on Amazon for $5.

-W

All that is good info. One other thing...there isn't anything you are going to learn the day before the interview...relax. Play golf, go for a hike, catch a ballgame, do something that has nothing to do with aviation. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back