Preparing for CFI ride. Need advice.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
THANKS!

Thanks Cardinal--great information! Echoed one thing my instructor has been telling me all along--answer the question, then SHUT UP! I keep digging holes in practice oral questions by interpreting him staring at me as a hint to keep going further...

Cardinal

Congratulations on passing. :)

The Fed put you through the mill for the two hours. I realize that I've been out of the game a while, but it sounds to me that he busted your chops a bit.

Once again, folks, on ANY practical, DON'T VOLUNTEER INFORMATION!

Have fun instructing!

Congrats

Congrats, Cardinal!!!

Thanks for the fresh narrative of your checkride. That will really come in handy with me. The whole concept of riding with the feds sounds a little disconcerting, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

One more day in this cube and then I'll be able to start my new life. I have my commercial and am almost ready for the CFI ride. All of this just happened to coinside with my getting laid off from a technology company. It would have been much harder to just quit this job than to get laid off. I get a little severance and hopefully this will carry me through the doldrums of no students when I first start instructing.

Happy instructing Cardinal!

~Flyer7SA

Thanks guys.

bobbysamd, I looked back and the flights were .6 and .8, for a total of 1.4 in the air. The oral felt exhaustive, but we didn't waste much time in the aircraft, and I felt the whole things was handled in a just, reasonable manner.

Incidentally the examiner did have me throw on the foggles for 4-5 minutes during the climbout, just verifying some rudimentary cross-cockpit instrument skills, I guess.

CFI practical

No, the flights sound about par. I've never heard of a CFI applicant having to demonstrate BAI on a practical. I thought that Practical Test Standards were supposed to eliminate such things.

I was talking about the oral. The time was about right but it sounded to me as if the ASI tweaked you a little. Great debrief on your practical. I got something out of it and couldn't have asked for better from one of my students.

The important thing is you passed and you're now a CFI. Welcome to the club! Good luck on your CFI-I and MEI.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!

I also had to wear the hood for my flight. I had the choice of me wearing it or having my examiner wear it. Since you must teach private students basic instrument skills, you have to demonstrate you can do it.

Latest resources

Back