pregnant???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stifler's Mom said:
I'm more amazed at the number of male pilots that appear to be 7 months pregnant. :confused:

Now that.....that is the most hilarious true thing I have read for awhile.

"Originally Posted by Stifler's Mom
I'm more amazed at the number of male pilots that appear to be 7 months pregnant."

Some guys I see in the terminal are more like 9 months pregnant and standing in line at BK or Micky D's. The JB crews all seem to be in at least "average" shape if not better.

FlyBunny said:
Interesting...

So, pregnant women are not 'safe' to fly as a pilot...

Well, I invite all of you to start noticing the obese male pilots...I was in ground school with one who weighed over 300lbs and only 5'11"...and the one (captain) at MSP for one of our 'red tailed' airliners...now trying to pull the yoke back to 'teach him a lesson'.

Pink Sky...huh...

So, how does it feel when the sky is not pink and more and more women are flying...

Obviously...some of them are way better than you will ever be...

http://www.edwards.af.mil/archive/2004/2004-archive-female_commander.html

(Lets no even talk about the recent shuttle commander)

Just a thought...

Be nice, accept your own limitations, and welcome everyone to fly along with you...

Even on this 'anonymous' board, show some 'class' and 'respect' ... and act just like you would when waiting at the gate in your uniform ready to board...

Hope this helps with your insecurities!

You remind me of a girl I flew with once. She couldn't keep her mouth shut either:)

my sister was over 8 months pregnant when we went on a family vacation and all she did all day was lay out in the sun. if she can do that and not complain or have difficulties, i would assume that a 7month pregnant woman could handle the duties of the job she's so used to. at 7 months, the baby weighs, what, like 2 or 3 pounds at most? if she's kept in shape and whatnot, she shouldn't be a blimp.

by the way, my sister will be the darkest, baddest-ass looking new mom in the maternity ward in the next few weeks :) allllllllllllll she freakin' does is "bake the baby", as she puts it :D

B-J-J Fighter said:
"Originally Posted by Stifler's Mom
I'm more amazed at the number of male pilots that appear to be 7 months pregnant."

Some guys I see in the terminal are more like 9 months pregnant and standing in line at BK or Micky D's.

Actually, it isn't called male pregnancy.

It is called Secondary Stall Protection. That's right, there is no way you will have a secondary stall after the first one, since there is no way you could possibly get the yoke back far enough.

If pregnant pilots can get away with not looking sharp in their company uniform, then I can too. I never wear a hat or tuck in my shirt. I will always use the excuse of "gaining a couple of pounds" to make sure I can look the way I want to feel.

And yes, thats' right....I now where my pj's to every bank, doctor's office, PTA meeting, etc....that I go to. You slack asses wear your pj's to my office, expect the same from me.

Last edited:
When writing policy for a pilot groups jumpseat manual, a jumpseater (on the flightdeck, at least) needs to have certian cognitive abilities. In other words, if a jumpseater showed up with an arm in a cast, he should be denied. His ability to function as a 'crewmember' is severly limited. He cannot open an emergency door, use emergency rope, etc. (remember, that is the jumpseat deal. A free ride in exchange for additional safety)

Now, let's get political and cultural. Perhaps Eurowennie wants to comment. In many European countires, when a crewmember becomes preganant she is done working. And is supported by a system.

What criteria (and culturial influences) is a doctor using to allow a pilot to fly in her third trimester? How effective will she be in an evacuation? Just as effective if she wasn't pregnant? Can a pregnant pilot use a five point harness. What will a 5 pt. harness, sudden stop/impact do to the fetus?

I can only shake my head, in that a woman in her third trimester who feels she must "do it all" is socially lost. The fear women have, that if they don't work to "be somebody" then they are nobody, is extremely powerful.

Many working mothers only have or can afford six weeks of maternaty leave. With FMLA maybe more. It is one thing to put your six week old baby in day care for a 9 to 5 job. It is shocking to put your infant in 'daycare' to do a four day trip. Air Line pilots, one would think, especially women, should be responsible enough not to "just get pregnant".

Maybe Mr. Mom is increasing in numbers or maybe men never agreed to the 'women have a right to work and have a family' mantra.

It's no wonder the "200 hour flight instructors" are self-entitled and demand thier jet jobs. They got it from thier parents.

Last edited:
Well said. I wonder why the Feds haven't looked at the issue the same way? Some of the pregnant captains I've flown with would absolutely need assistance in an evac.

Latest resources

Back