Preceed direct XYZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

silverfish

If you are given a clearance from ATC to proceed direct to a fix that would take you off route, how do you know you are complying with the minimum altitudes required?

My initial guess is the grid MORA's that are on Low/High charts. However, does this mean that I have to get my chart out and look at them all the way to the next fix before I can comply with the direct routing. My other guess would be MVA's. But, I'm not really even sure what that is. I mean I read the definition of it in the Jepp intro, but still a little confused.

What am I missing here?

If you are given a clearance from ATC to proceed direct to a fix that would take you off route, how do you know you are complying with the minimum altitudes required?

My initial guess is the grid MORA's that are on Low/High charts. However, does this mean that I have to get my chart out and look at them all the way to the next fix before I can comply with the direct routing. My other guess would be MVA's. But, I'm not really even sure what that is. I mean I read the definition of it in the Jepp intro, but still a little confused.

What am I missing here?

Pretty much, then get the chart out and make sure you can comply with the SE drift down terrain clearance.

They shouldn't be clearing you at an altitude that violates the minimum terrain clearance, but you need to check your aircraft's performance.

From the controllers hand book:
4-5-6 d. Where MEAs have not been established, clear an aircraft at or above the minimum altitude for IFR operations prescribed by 14 CFR Section 91.177.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/atc/atc0405.html#atc0405.html.2

Last edited:
I doubt a controller would give you direct to a fix unless it was legal. That doesn't mean to put all of your trust in them, but if you are uncertain you could always ask them or pull out a chart.

Also, unless I'm mistaken anyone in the continental USA (not including Alaska) FL180 and above should be above any required drift down altitude.

Also, unless I'm mistaken anyone in the continental USA (not including Alaska) FL180 and above should be above any required drift down altitude.

True, assuming your company springs for the drift down data, as opposed to the easier/cheaper terrain clearance data.

Some years ago, my company was in that boat. A controller cleared an aircraft direct to a fix, but the grid altitudes were ABOVE the TC limit. So the CA refused the clearance, and the controller threatened to violate him on the radio for not complying with an ATC clearance.

The CA ASAP'd it. The result? That ATC facility's controllers got training that not EVERY operator has DD data and may only have TC data, and to ask an aircraft if they can accept a direct route clearance.

If you're in a Boeing, there is not a direct in the Continental U.S. that will put you in an area where the Grid MORA is higher than the driftdown altitude.

When I was flying the EMB-145 and were filed on a route where Terrain Clearance was a consideration, we were not allowed to take direct routing from ATC, although everyone did.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back