• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pre-employment drug testing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not a bad question. In this industry most drug tests are random anyway. Could you imagine if they tested for alcohol? They would probably lose half the work force. Just play by the rules and you'll be fine. Most companies require 12 hours before any company event and less than .04 BAC. It's OK to enjoy a couple of beers here and there, just don't abuse the privilege.

Be careful they do test for cigarettes.

They do test for alcohol. I've been tested twice at duty in.

The company can and some companies do give a breathalyzer as part of their pre-employment screening. If the job means anything to you, just be safe and don't drink the night before.

Nothing wrong with a beer. Its good for you, one of the oldest drinks in the world. The problem is excess. Have a drnk and sleep well. You would most like do better than everyone else who couldn't sleep that night.

They do test for alcohol. I've been tested twice at duty in.

Where do you work that they test you at duty in? I've always been tested at duty out. The company does this on purpose for a number of reasons.

-Blucher

Where do you work that they test you at duty in? I've always been tested at duty out. The company does this on purpose for a number of reasons.

-Blucher

Atlanta's finest regional airline. :) Both times were at duty in about 3 years ago. The nurse had a breathalyzer set up where they normally do drug tests.

When I was interviewing for a bouncer position back in my college days, after the interview they asked if I would submit to a drug test. I said of course. After a few seconds of blank stares from them as I stood there, the owner said, "Well get them out, Damnit!"

Atlanta's finest regional airline. :) Both times were at duty in about 3 years ago. The nurse had a breathalyzer set up where they normally do drug tests.
They seem to enjoy doing it right after you get back from vacation also.

That's very odd. I wasn't aware we ever tested at duty in. I too have had to take the breathalyzer for 3 out of the 6 times I've been tested, but that's always been after the last flight. This way if it takes a long time (nurse on break, etc...) it only cuts into my time, not "company time."
I've always wondered if the lab techs find it weird that some of their samples tend to smell like coffee. I mean if you get tested right after coming in from a nap that sample's got to be like what....80% coffee, right? I think if I fly a nap line again I'll always bring asparagus with me to eat on the ride back to ATL. Mmm, mmm, aparagus and coffee, breakfast of champions!

-Blucher:beer:

Latest resources

Back