Practice Approaches

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BeachBum

A buddy and I were out the other night shooting practice instrument approaches when the approach control and tower at the airport (KPUB) closed up for the night. They told us to contact center for further approaches. We did so, and ended up spending twenty minutes holding waiting for the controller to clear us for the next few approaches. There was no other traffic in the area, but the controller didn't seem to understand what we were requesting. So here's the question: is there anything illegal about shooting practice approaches in VFR conditions into uncontrolled airports without talking to the local radar facility? Seems to me that you should be legal. I understand there could be issues with traffic and such, but this was around 1am with no one else in the area.

As long as you aren't busting into B, C, or D airspace without making the appropriate calls you should be fine.

-mini

mini's right.

As long as you are not impinging on someone's airspace, you can pretty much do what you want. Remember that you spent all that time during your private training doing all sorts of maneuvers without anyone's permission. Other that airspace, we really only need to use Approach during practice approaches for coordination and realism.

I can't imagine what the Center controller's question(s) were, but I handle both kinds of operations at satellite fields. Folks who want vectors and separation services (where provided), and others who just want to do their own thing with simple traffic advisories. I'm fine with either way. Just tell me your preference. I think a lot of folks don't realize I don't have to run your approaches to the satellites.

My guess is maybe when PUB closed, the evening shift at Center was also getting off, and they were busy combining sectors and wrapping up a lot of loose ends there at the same time, hence the delay. VFR practice approaches aren't real high on the priority list....

Just make sure that, if you ever do VFR practice approaches under the watchful eye of ATC, you don't inadvertently end up on an IFR clearance. If there's ANY ambiguity as to your status make sure you verify it with ATC. If you need an IFR clearance to conduct the approach simply tell them. If you need to remain VFR, make sure they know that as well. There have been cases where VFR only and non-current IFR pilots accepted a controllers approach clearance and were busted. Remember, controllers (and pilots) don't always do things by the "strict letter of the law". If there's ever any question or ambiguity get it cleared up then and there. That way, you'll have the "tapes" on your side if there's ever any question.

'Sled

Lead, that's a great point.

Usually when I'm doing that kind of thing (approaches in VFR), I'll just tell them I'm VFR if I have any doubt. Something like:

Approach: Cessna 12345 turn right heading 360 vectors for the ILS 4 final
Me: Right turn to 360 vectors to ILS 4 and we'll maintain VFR

If they were thinking VFR, it's no biggie...if they were thinking IFR, they'll usually come back and ask "oh, you didn't want to do it IFR?"...then you can clear it up quickly.

Excellent point

-mini

Latest resources

Back