powerline/pipeline spotter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hwoods

How does one find out about power and pipe line spotting jobs? I called my local power company and the HR girls seemed to think I was off my rocker.

Helen

Hey h,
Your profile doesn't show it, but are you also a CFI? What part of the country are you in? I might know an outfit that needs pipeline-CFI pilots, PM me if interested.
340drvr

Powerline/Pipeline

My local Electric/Gas company used to own a BH206L to do pipeline patrol and sub out the powerline. They just sold the 206L and now sub both to the same contractor. A good friend of mine just got the job. He's a former Mesa ERJ FO and Guard CW2 AH-64/ OH-58 pilot. He said he'd been checking just helicopters.com for months. Job is mon thru fri, no nights. Lucky Ba$tard.

"He's a former Mesa ERJ FO and Guard CW2 AH-64/ OH-58 pilot. He said he'd been checking just helicopters.com for months. Job is mon thru fri, no nights. Lucky Ba$tard."

If he's ex Mesa how much did he undercut the person who had the job? And also what did the company charge him for his training or did he just fork over the cash in large sum's to continue to be a "working pilot"?

Probably sucked someones p#$#@ to fly that ugly machine, so called helicopter...

SCAB, dads prob former eastern airlines

No Mercy

Wow, no mercy. Well here's the story; we had three Mesa guys in my Guard unit. The above mentioned walked away from them after a deployment. One walked away to get a full time guard job. The last guy, God rest his soul, was killed during our deployment to Iraq. Say what you want about Mesa or the Pilot group as a whole, but individually some are Great guys. I fully expect some flame over this. But, F*ck it these guys are my friends, regardless of where they used to work.

Last edited:
Great Guy, very much missed

Pat Leach was a CLT based ERJ Capt and a CW4 AH-64 IP/IFE. He served 18 yrs total active and guard. Pat was a Desert Storm veteran and left behind a wife and 5 children. We teased each other over the "Biz" and trashed each others carrier, but it was all in jest. I was there that night and am still shocked that he and Andrew are gone. The Flying world lost two Great guys that night.
http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2004/nr20041212-1801.html

DoD Identifies Army Casualties
The Department of Defense announced today the death of two soldiers supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. They died December 9 in Mosul, Iraq after being involved in an Apache helicopter accident. Both were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 151st Aviation Regiment, South Carolina National Guard, Columbia, S.C.

Killed were:

1st Lt. Andrew C. Shields, 25, of Campobello, S.C.

Chief Warrant Officer Patrick D. Leach, 39, of Rock Hill, S.C.

Last edited:
just a few fixed wing patrol off the top of the head

underwood based in OK 152,172,177
BAR formally exxon/mobil HQZ east of dallas 182s
El paso energy Houston 2 208s

340drvr said:
Hey h,
Your profile doesn't show it, but are you also a CFI? What part of the country are you in? I might know an outfit that needs pipeline-CFI pilots, PM me if interested.
340drvr

KCPR?

Latest resources

Back