Power Struggle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DX Rick

Why do some dx'ers find the need to power struggle with captains? There is that line of "Operational control" but some dx'ers think it means that "dx has all the operational control, and pilot has none" I have even heard a dispatcher tell a pilot "You're responsible for the take offs and landings, I am in charge of everything else"
What happened to you in your life that makes you crave power?

I just hold the release until we TOGETHER work whatever it is out. I'm not the Captain's "secretary". It applies enroute too. I won't amend until we're both in agreement. It's a two way street at least the desk I work at the airline I work for.

I noticed that the people like that are generally control freaks anyways, and most I noticed are disrgruntled wannabe pilots.

Last edited:
propsarebest said:
I noticed that the people like that are generally control freaks anyways, and most I noticed are disrgruntled wannabe pilots.

DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!

If it's within the regs, ops specs and wont kill anyone......why argue? If captain butt helmet needs 31 extra pounds added to the release, who cares amend it!
There are worse things that do need to be argued about, such as when a captain told me he wanted X amount of fuel so he could go pick his way through a solid line of lvl 5 with reports of hail, tornados and car cars being thrown around.
I had to remind him he wasn't flying 135 cargo anymore.

DX Rick said:
DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!

If it's within the regs, ops specs and wont kill anyone......why argue? If captain butt helmet needs 31 extra pounds added to the release, who cares amend it!
There are worse things that do need to be argued about, such as when a captain told me he wanted X amount of fuel so he could go pick his way through a solid line of lvl 5 with reports of hail, tornados and car cars being thrown around.
I had to remind him he wasn't flying 135 cargo anymore.

Yes, within all regs, I really won't argue. Thing is though, In Dispatch we have the "big picture" and the Capt's decision can affect other operations. Say, if two airports equal distance to divert to are both good, but one is better for the whole operation than the other the Capt should know...just an example.

Latest resources

Back