• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

potential pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I come from a family of doctors. In fact I am the only one in my extended family who is not in the medical profesion. (I was in a bad accident as a kid and to this day can not stand needles!)

The long running family joke is "What's the difference between god and a surgeon? -God knows he's not a surgeon.

It doesn't seem like you have this attitude but many doctors do and thats what gets them in trouble.

Doctor:

The fact that you have asked your questions puts you in good stead. Just as in medicine (my first career choice before broadcasting and aviation, but that's another story...) there is much to be learned, and you have a great resource here. Poke around using the "search" feature here on the board.

Fly with the idea that you want to do this as professionally as possible. In other words, train to the standard of a commercial/instrument pilot. Doing so will help keep you off the list of physician statistics, and raise you level of utility and enjoyment.

If you have the money, buy the plane you want to fly personally soon, and put it on leaseback at the school where you train. You will defer costs, especially if you form a holding company to manage the plane's expenses. Talk with you CPA.

I have trained three physicians, and none fit the stereotype of arrogant or rude. Every master can be a student of something...you should hear me on the trumpet!

More questions? Just ask.

Instructors do NOT hate teaching doctors. I had a gynecologist for a student once, and he was one of my best. Just put that in the same rumor pile that says pilots have a girlfriend in every city, and they all drink too much. If you have the money, and the time, just do it. Go up for a discovery flight, and get a logbook so you can log the time.

It's a great pastime, and even though things are more difficult now due to some nasty terrorists, it's still a lot of fun. Good luck to you.

PS,
You are not out of your league, as new people are welcome. The only people out of their league are pilots who try to tell others about things that they have little or no experience in. Don't worry about it, and welcome aboard.

Doctor, doctor. Doctor, doctor.

There is Dawn Aviation at New Castle (ILG), which was a pretty good school last time I checked. If you are in West Chester, as are my in-laws, check out Brandywine airport. Less congested with a nice school on field, although I can't remember the name at the moment.

I used to work at a school at New Castle, but it's gone now. Diamond Flite Center. Always sad to see a school close, but man, the owners were quite insane.

Good luck on your training and never hesitate asking questions here. We may quibble about this and that, but it is strictly taboo to be anything but courteous to someone honestly looking for help.

Chunk

Dear Stephen,

I am delighted to hear that you are considering learning to fly for pleasure. Everyone on this thread has given great advice, and I am impressed with your willingness to ask questions. I am sure you will do quite well.

One of my favorite friends was a neurosurgeon and I loved flying with him. He taught me so much even though at the time I was an airline pilot. Unfortunately, he died last year in a tragic accident (my theory is that he passed out--he was an excellent pilot). He is still missed by everyone who knew him.

Welcome to general aviation!! You will enjoy flying and I am willing to bet that you will never regret having learned to fly.

Enjoy!! And as always, fly safe,

kilomike

Doctor Doctor...

New to the board, but not new to teaching. I am a CFI at this little liberal military academy located in the heart of the Rockies, and I have been struggling with this very issue recently.

I have a somewhat mature gentelman around 50ish who is a very successful businessman and has "reserved"me for a two week time block to get his Private Pilot certificate. (I know.. I know.. two weeks to get his license... you can see where this post is going...)

I won't start with him until May, but the past two months have gone like this:

"I really like the V-tail Bonanza. Can you teach me to fly in one of those? I want to buy one now!"

"no, no... not a good idea..."

"Why not? I used to drive race cars when I was younger.. I can certainly handle learning how to fly in just about anything! It's all about having good reflexes, right?

"no.. there's more to it.."

"What? More? what more? It's just an airplane.. you're an instructor.. you're supposed to know how to fly.. I'm paying you GOOD money to teach me how to fly.. I'm going to buy the Bonanza!"

"not a good idea Al.. I won't teach you to fly your first plane in a Bonanza.. You should really consider starting out in a Cessna first and then..."

"but.. but..."

Long story short... he finally agreed not to buy the Bonanza... only to turn around and by a Piper Comanche instead!

:eek:

This man has not listened to ONE word I have said. And I haven't even starting instructing him!

When you do start flying, do yourself (and your instructor) a favor. He doesn't pretend to know the first thing about being a doctor, and you don't pretend to know anything about flying.

You will learn SO much.

regards,

zoom

zoom,

Point taken.

I think I would flat out refuse to teach that guy! Sounds dangerous already.
Money alone doesn't necessarily make you a good pilot or doctor.

If I were trying to teach a resident or student with an attitude like that - I would have shown him the door a long time ago.

Steve

I do have another related question. - probably a broad question.

Aside from training expenses, how much can I expect to spend on a yearly basis recreationally flying? At this point, I can't afford buying a plane (need to buy a home first), so I figured I would rent.

One other question - my wife also wants to get into flying at a much later date, but are there classes that she can take other than strict flight lessons, so she can learn how to communicate with ATC and know what to do in an emergency if something happens to me (heaven forbid) while piloting, i.e. stroke, heart attack, hypoxia, etc.

Thanks

Steve:)

AOPA has a great program called Pinch Hitter, which not only trains non-pilots what to do an emergency, but trains them to help out with items like radio communications, making them feel hopefully like they are participating in the flying.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/schedules/pinch.html

(if this is part of the members only part of the site, let me know)

Happy flying!

Latest resources

Back