• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Post-Furlough Logbook Roundup

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You don't say what kind of job you are interviewing for, but if it is a 91 or 135 job, most of them will tell you to bring your logbook. Less than half of them will actually look through it.

Those that do look through it will be looking for several things-

1) Does the applicant's logbook appear to be legitimate (expect some questions about particular flights- just basically to see if you are comfortable being questioned about the book and its entries)

2) DOes the applicant's logbook clearly show that he meets the requirements of the position

3) Does the applicant's logbook reflect a person who will competently handle the recordkeeping/paperwork aspect of the job?

Basically, anyone who would go through your books with a fine-tooth comb is probably looking for something, either to see how you handle being questioned about it, or looking for some sign that something is fraudulent. Otherwise, in my opinion, if they start browbeating you about a logbook that already passed muster at each stop along the way throughout your career, I would take that as a sign that you may not want to work under this individual, anyway. There are a few petty dictators out there, and this may show you have found one. Run, don't walk to the exit . . . .

Seriously, if they ask about the neatness/quality of the entries, I would just say, "Sir, when I first began flying, I probably did not pay as close attention to my logbook as I should have. Sloppy as it might have been, the entries are genuine and accurate, just not neat. As I progressed through my career, and matured, I took better care of my logbook. I can assure you that any paperwok I do here will be completed neatly and professionally.

I disagree with habubuaza. In my personal experience flying worldwide jet pax and freight, I've averaged much, much less than 10 percent of my total time as actual instrument. I've averaged 3 percent, and that is skewed because I accumulated much of that during my regional airline years. I've spent way too much time above the clouds in long cruise flights. Also, I haven't logged night or cross country time for over 10 years as they are vurtually unimportant at my experience level. Being furloughed as you are, I have applied to many companies and so far haven't been asked for night or x-c nor have I been grilled about a low amount of act. inst. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back