Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

duckbilled

Hello,

Someone from AVSIM sent me in here because they thought someone here would have some advice for me. From the looks of things, I'm sure they were right.

I am interested in switching careers and going to school to be a Flight Dispatcher. I am not interested in going for a 4 year aviation degrees because I already have a Bachelors from University of Michigan-Dearborn in a unrelated field (Political Science). I am considering the Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology http://www.aviation-career-training.com/dispatch.html.

Here are my questions:

How easy is it to find a entry-level jobs as a Dispatcher or Flight Follower with a non-aviation degree and FAA certification? Particularly, does anybody know anything about the opportunities in Michigan? My guess is that NWA's dispatchers are in Minneapolis but I was hoping that there could be possibilities with some of the smaller cargo operators, Mesaba or Pinnacle. If not with them, what other types of opportunities could there be once I get certified?

Is there a school that is relatively close to Michigan that has a really good reputation? Does anybody know anything about the Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology?

How realistic is this career change in general. I have always had a passion for aviation but until now, it has only manifested itself in my addiction to pc flight sims. I don't have a ppl but I have a basic understanding of navigation, aircraft performance and I know how to read METARs.

I was able to get a lot of information from avjobs.com but I am still unsure if this is the right move. What appeals to me is the fast paced environment, its long-tem earning potential and of course, it is in a field that I have been fascinated with since I was a child.

Anyway, sorry about the long post. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Just my opionion......I have been dispatching for over 10 years......Find a different occupation!!!! Unless of course you just want to do it for fun and money doesnt matter to you.

I don't have a degree, and I have a bitchin job.

This job seems to attract lots of career change types, and it's just my opnion that they don't stick around very long. This job is thankless, and is NOTHING like what the schools tell you it is. The pay, indusrty wide really sucks, but the fact that you can jumpseat is kind of nice. There are some dream jobs out there, like UPS, FEDEX, etc., but in reality, you will be making 28 grand a year alot longer than anyone will admit to. plan on being at a regional or at an demand cargo operator for AT LEAST 10 years before you get a shot at the dream jobs.

If I had the chance to do this whole thing all over again, I wouldn't do it. You will be working weekends, holidays and overnights until the cows come home, so quality of life kinda sucks for a while.

I really don't mean to pee in your cornflakes, but I think that meeting a dispatcher and siting with them for a while (more than one shift) will allow you to actually see what we do.

propsarebest said:
There are some dream jobs out there, like UPS, FEDEX, etc., but in reality, you will be making 28 grand a year alot longer than anyone will admit to. plan on being at a regional or at an demand cargo operator for AT LEAST 10 years before you get a shot at the dream jobs.

this isn't true at all. i got on at a major with just over 1 year experience. we just hired a guy with less than a year of experience. the jobs are out there. you just have to work for them.

The Norm...

Props is telling you pretty much how it is.....9e's post is the high exception to the norm...

Most folks will have 7 to 10 years under their belt and may have been with several regional airlines before they have the experience and built the networking it takes to get on with a Larger Mainline airline.

As for working in MI or any peticular geographical area, as a dispatcher you must be willing to work at the airlines HDQ which in these days usually means living at that city. Some airlines still allow dispatchers to commute, but I dont recommend this to anyone in these post 911 days with higher load factors. This can make commuting a nightmare.

The starting pay for regional carriers will range from $12 to $13 an hour to start, you will move up about a dollar an hour per year, some have overtime pay. You can top out in the low 50's after 12 to 15 years at some of the larger regionals.

The cargo carriers tend to pay better to start, usually in the low 30's, and I am NOT talking about Fed Ex or USP...Good luck in your hunt, I personally would not incourage you to go this direction unless your a single person, dont care about when your time off is, dont need alot of money from your work, and just plain love aviation above all other things in a normal persons life.

It took me 12 years before I got on with COA and then you start over in seniority and shift bidding working weird shifts, vacation relief etc...good luck

Last edited:
Duckbilled, I wouldn't get anywhere near this industry if I was you. Stay away. Far, far away.

Ok, thanks for the advice. It looks like it is 3-2 and the no's are winning. In addition, I would say that the reasons to avoid the industry are more compelling. Considering that I am married and that I am tied to Michigan, it looks like this would be a pretty bad idea.

I agree with props,405,bommerbudda,clr4. I used to dispatch at Pinnacle and it was not fun. It is exactly the opposite of a dream job. Low pay, bad hours, management that treats you like cattle. They claim saftey is their #1 priority but it doesn't seem like it when you get constantly nagged at for adding additional fuel. Just my opinion!

Dispatch jobs in Michigan are few and far between. Mesaba is based in Minneapolis and Pinnacle is based in Memphis. There are some cargo carriers out of Willow Run Airport, but there are no airline dispatch offices in Michigan. (At least none that I can think of.) If you are tied to MI, this is not the job for you.

Latest resources

Back