• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

habubuaza

http://www.airportbusiness.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=3343

At Least Ten U.S. Airports Face Closure Due to Jet Fuel Shortages

Armbrust Aviation Group
Press Release

August 31, 2005… Airlines and oil companies are working on plans to supply jet fuel to at least ten U.S. airports that could be shut down due to a lack of jet fuel caused by refinery and pipeline shutdowns from hurricane Katrina. The airports in most jeopardy for closure include Atlanta, Charlotte, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, Orlando, Tampa, Washington Dulles and West Palm Beach.

AAG has learned that ChevronTexaco and Shell had cargoes loaded prior to the shutdowns destined for Florida ports. However, with the Colonial and Plantation pipelines shutdown due to a lost of power it could be sometime for shipments to reach airports from Atlanta to Washington D.C.

With future supply uncertain, airlines are working on plans to allocate jet fuel at critically short airports. “While some airports may have up to five days of supply we have to expect that we won’t receive additional shipments for some time. We either run down to flumes or we try to make it last as long as possible,” said one airline fuel manager. Today, airlines are working on plans to allocate fuel in hopes of extending available supply at problem locations.

Initial reports vary as to the extent of damage to Gulf Coast refining. But a longer term problem may not be refining infrastructure but providing shelter for refinery workers. “One of our refineries is scheduled to be back up soon but our real problem is finding housing for our workers. Most of their homes are destroyed or under water. Unless we can solve the housing problem we will not be fully operational for some time,” said one major oil company representative.

Last edited:
I'm usually not a doom and gloom kinda guy, but........ Do any of you see a major econimic problem in the near future? I can only imagine that if this continues another couple of weeks that the average American will stop traveling for pleasure, and eventually business. I sure hope this gets figured out soon. Personally, I would love to see a refinery in HPN, and maybe one in HYA, right next to the Kennedy compound. How glorious that would be. :D

It'd be a cold day in hell before ATL would Shut down. Count on plenty of strategic reserves being released.

Another person who doesn't understand what the petrolium reserve actually is. It is unrefined oil stored in disused salt mines. Without operating refinerys its useless.

HoursHore said:
It'd be a cold day in hell before ATL would Shut down. Count on plenty of strategic reserves being released.

The stategic reserves can be released but they still have to refine it to make jet fuel. That is going to be the biggest problem. I bet they will refine gasoline before they refine jet fuel.

Juniority said:
Another person who doesn't understand what the petrolium reserve actually is. It is unrefined oil stored in disused salt mines. Without operating refinerys its useless.

You think that takes 5 days? The refineries of LA were not damaged, and it wouldn't take much portable power to get the pipeline running. I am sure this is at the top of someone's list. If not, you can all lecture me when an Airport shuts down. Better yet I will publically apoligize for not being a chicken little.

Have a little faith in mankind's ingenuity.

Last edited:
It is time to go from over 40 to just 4 grades of gas.. Cheap stuff, high grade, deisel, jet.. Then they can start pumping out more fuel from the refineries that are operating. I am a states rights kind of guy, but they need to wave all the different blends on the federal level. Also, the percentage of gas that is tax revenues need to be capped in an amount per gallon vs a percentage per gallon.

I would not want to be in SUV sales right now.

“One of our refineries is scheduled to be back up soon but our real problem is finding housing for our workers. Most of their homes are destroyed or under water. Unless we can solve the housing problem we will not be fully operational for some time,”

They will get the pipeline flowing again fairly soon with gererators, etc. Just heard on the box that some of the refineries around N O are not that badly damaged and can be brought back on line fairly soon. The problem is that there are no workers to operate them. Until the basic needs necessary to sustain people are regained, it will be hard to get the gas and kerosene flowing down the pipe. I guess everyone will have to tanker as much fuel as they can when operation into those airports.

Latest resources

Back