Positive changes at Ameristar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

Since U were talking to pilotYIP, I thought u were referring to USA Jet.

C U!

cliff
YIP

MM quit...pm me as I have a new phone and not his #...and U sleezy ho bags....my balls itch!

actually the place has turned into a major craphole lately!! in the last month they have lost the 135cp,121cp,4-135 pilots"including yours truely", and 6-121 pilots. I know of 4 others that havent given notice yet that are leaving there soon. I did that post as a favor but now that he's gone and im gone screw that place. It's kinda funny how everyone's exit interview was about Jacob and what a c0cksucker he is!!! They have more dispatchers there then they do pilots now. Im just waiting to drive by and see someone walking around with the sign "The end is near"

I think it's pretty lame of you to start a post about how great your company is (or was) and than two months later, you're bashing the *hit out of it.. You said "you posted the initial thread as a favor", I'm sure the only favor that you did AS, was quit..

I think it's pretty lame of you to start a post about how great your company is (or was) and than two months later, you're bashing the *hit out of it.. You said "you posted the initial thread as a favor", I'm sure the only favor that you did AS, was quit..

You know knothing about the situation. His retraction of his original statement and this thread just goes to show how $hitttie AJI really is. Initially it was a positive change. The company threw the pilots a bone, but it is too little, too late and not enough to keep people from leaving.

Anyone want to make bets that the "positive" changes go away once the next class has signed their contract? 12 and 2's will be the next sked.

Last edited:
What class? Back in the day it would make sense to go to Ameristar, USA Jet, etc, but these days you should go to a regional.
It depends. USA Jet is still a pretty fair operator. The maintenance is well above par for the average freight outfit and the pay is pretty good as well. The pay is one hell of alot better than the regionals. Plus you don't operate into & out of only a few set airports like you do in a regional. I think that is a big plus because it gives you a lot more experience in having to deal with the unknown.

Thanks Stupid fortunately there enough pilots who feel that way also. Funny thing about the on-demand world, for those who have done it, it defines their career. When at the bar telling "war stories", they always talk about there on demand days. Like customer service telling you the box will fit on the DA-20, it won’t it is a single 4,000# pallet of 48x48x72 tall, their answers "Can you lay it on its side?". If you have been there we know you have done that. When is the last time you heard a great pilot story from a regional pilot about the time the FMS would not accept the letter "F" and he had to manually insert the geo co-ords of FWA.

You know knothing about the situation. His retraction of his original statement and this thread just goes to show how $hitttie AJI really is. Initially it was a positive change. The company threw the pilots a bone, but it is too little, too late and not enough to keep people from leaving.

Anyone want to make bets that the "positive" changes go away once the next class has signed their contract? 12 and 2's will be the next sked.

You are correct, I know nothing about the situation at AJI, but from what you are saying AJI doesn't sound like a great place if they make promises and than change after the pilots sign their contract.. Care to elaborate on that further?

It depends. USA Jet is still a pretty fair operator.

I think the future is going to be tough for all 135 operators, except for those with excellent pay and benefits. USA Jet is doing the right thing by lowering mins and paying better.

A few years ago your typical 135 pilot at AJI or JUS instructed for a few years, and then flew single pilot freight in a twin. I was a lower time with around 2000TT and 500 multi. I went the charter route for the pay and quick upgrade.

However, today you can get on at a regional with 500TT. A bunch of well paying, quality regionals have upgrade times less then two years. It's not all hub turns either, look at how extensive Skywest's route map is for example. Yes, you have to suffer through first year pay, but second year pay isn't so bad, and captains at the regionals generally have a better QQL and fly better equipment then those at AJI or JUS.

I'd hate to be doing recruiting for a place that does 135 single pilot in props. You need 1200TT pilots to comply with FARs, but who continues to build time instructing to 1200TT when their buddies are getting hires at regionals with much less time?

Competitive mins

Wiggums, we never lower minimums, we just redefine competitive hiring statistics. To establish the quality standard needed in this business we use the well-known medical test know as the "Billricktomfred". That is where you hold a reflective device under a candidate’s nose and if it fogs up, he is viable candidate. Actually we are finding flight time is not the complete indicator of success, there are many other variables to look at to determine if a candidate will be successful.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back