POS Airbus...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
One, Capt Haynes at least had a symmetrical airplane, both in drag and thrust.

Capt Haynes did have a yaw problem in the Sioux City accident. When the fan came apart it damaged the turbine section, causing a hole to be torn through the engine casing and cowling. Some of the airflow comming through the shutdown engine was being diverted out that hole, causing yaw. While not as dramatic as the DHL incident, it was the yaw that almost rolled the aircraft on it's back right after the number 2 engine came apart.

I recall that shortly after the incident, French magazine PARIS MATCH had an embedded reporter with the group of murderers that actually did attempt to shoot down the DHL Airbus. They had pictures of the attack from the ground, one idiot with the SA7 on his shoulder, the missile leaving the tube with the smoke trail, and then the impact.

Like one previous posted once said, that crew should NEVER have to buy booze again anywhere in the world, helluva job.

I'm sure these guys weren't qualified to be hired at AA... :rolleyes:
They never applied and NEVER had any desire to work for AA...:D

Excellent job on getting the crippled plane back to the ground.
My hat off to the crew.

Looking at the Match pictures (if they're real), the Iraqis had another clear shot at the Bus once it was hit. And seeing that they had about 5 men with SAMs, it's strange that they didn't finish it off (good thing they didn't)

For a plastic POS with a weird rudder problem, the Bus didn't do too bad

I wonder how I would have fared in my 2-seater A300-600?

Also, I believe that use of composites is much lower in the original Airbus. It might even have a metal tail!

A definite display of...What's that stuff called?

"Looking at the Match pictures (if they're real), the Iraqis had another clear shot at the Bus once it was hit. And seeing that they had about 5 men with SAMs, it's strange that they didn't finish it off (good thing they didn't)"

If I am not mistaken, I think the rest of the guys in the photo are holding RPGs (rocket propelled grenades) which make a nice explosion but are unguided. You would have to be an EXCELLENT shot to lead a plane and hit it with an RPG.

Goose17

College degree?

There is good chance one of those three did not have college degree. That pilot might now have known what fork to pick first at the awards ceremony. How we let guys like into ours cockpits?. We know the college degree in the document that defines the professionalism of our cockpit crews. I am obviously guessing and am being sarcastic here. The skill of those guys was unbelievable. We are blessed to have such men in our cockpits.

pilotyip said:
There is good chance one of those three did not have college degree. That pilot might now have known what fork to pick first at the awards ceremony. How we let guys like into ours cockpits?. We know the college degree in the document that defines the professionalism of our cockpit crews. I am obviously guessing and am being sarcastic here. The skill of those guys was unbelievable. We are blessed to have such men in our cockpits.

How you can turn this thread in to an argument against a college degree is simply amazing.

What's NOT amazing is the poor grammar in the post. I had to struggle to get through the first three sentences and GUESS what you were trying to say.

Nobody ever said a college degree was some magical insurance of superior airmanship. Nor has it ever been asserted that a college degree insures one's ability to practice proper table etiquette. Certainly, it does not impart on the degree holder any sort of proper decorum, manners, or common courtesy. Sadly, it does not even guarantee an ability to communicate clearly via the written word. What it does show is some modicum of intelligence, and an ability to finish a task that has been started - - persistance in the face of adversity. (OH, and it also gives the holder a better chance of breaking the $100,000 salary mark.)

Wiggums said:
Capt Haynes did have a yaw problem in the Sioux City accident. When the fan came apart it damaged the turbine section, causing a hole to be torn through the engine casing and cowling. Some of the airflow comming through the shutdown engine was being diverted out that hole, causing yaw. While not as dramatic as the DHL incident, it was the yaw that almost rolled the aircraft on it's back right after the number 2 engine came apart.
Wiggs,

I was unaware of that. Thanks for correcting my post.

Goose17 said:
"Looking at the Match pictures (if they're real), the Iraqis had another clear shot at the Bus once it was hit. And seeing that they had about 5 men with SAMs, it's strange that they didn't finish it off (good thing they didn't)"

If I am not mistaken, I think the rest of the guys in the photo are holding RPGs (rocket propelled grenades) which make a nice explosion but are unguided. You would have to be an EXCELLENT shot to lead a plane and hit it with an RPG.

Goose17
you're probably right, I thought they were all SAMs

(just another civilian scum w/ no formal training)

Latest resources

Back