Portland, OR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Buckaroo said:
There's also a lot of Bedwetting Liberal A$$holes, so you must feel right at home.

Actually we refer to them as well educated progressives. I do feel right at home around here. My neighbors are professional people that don't make stupid statements like trying to categorize the entire population of a diverse metropolitan area as "hippies and dope smoking tree huggers." In fact one of my neighbors has a degree in forestry and works for a wood products company. I'll ask him how much dope he smoked while hugging trees today. I've got engineers living on either side of me. I'll check to see how much dope them smoked today and if they hugged any trees. Probably negative on the trees because it's wet and windy right now. Not the best weather for tree hugging because the moss gets all over your shirt.

Our area is noted for abundant parks, recreation, scenic beauty, and novel land use/planning. I'm about 1.5 hours from Timberline Ski Resort which is getting a bunch of snow right now and about 1.75 hours from some gorgeous beaches. Newer homes in the neighborhood are about 600K which is chump change for those "hippies and dope smoking tree huggers" so I guess there will be even more of them to contend with.

The one thing we lack is folks like Buckaroo. I just don't talk to many folks that sound like him. But I can always turn on the Springer show I guess....

Dave that was a good post. I just had a PDX layover and it looks like snow at Timberline all week. I'm based in Hawaii and wouldn't trade it for anything, but PDX is one of my favorite layovers. We have time for snowboarding and a visit to Powells on our layovers. Oregon is an awesome place and Bend is a favorite family vacation spot thanks to Mt Batchelor. If I couldn't live in Hawaii I could definetly live in Oregon (or Vancouver for the tax break and apparently it has good schools).

Bend is getting really popular these days, especially with the folks moving up from California. Prices are getting out of sight. That another nice thing about Portland. You're not that far from Central Oregon which like everything else east of the Cascades, is quite different. I was out at Smith Rocks this summer and had a blast. What a gorgeous place. We did a long weekend camping on the Icicle River near Leavenworth, WA and really enjoyed that area. Looks like the Alps.

From my house I'm just a short walk from a nice stretch of river that looks like something up in Alaska. You can kayak or fish and spot bald eagles. Feels like you're out in the country.

Being based in Hawaii sounds pretty sweet. Summer here is great but it sure would be nice in the islands the rest of the year with a couple of winter trips to the Cascades thrown in just to remind you what snow and ice looks like.

PDX is a nice place to live. The commute to SEA can be a rough one however. I have talked to many Alaska pilots about there commute. They sometimes have to make the drive. If one Horizon flights cancel, all hell has broke loose between the two cities. On a Thursday night, a flight cancels, and even with the option of sitting up front it can be a three to four hour wait, then no dice on the commute. If you are lucky enough to be based in SEA, live somewhere up there.
The weathere is about the same, wet. The real estate market is a little cheaper, but not really that much. And not commuting is the sweetest plumb of all.

Dave Benjamin said:
Actually we refer to them as well educated progressives. I do feel right at home around here. My neighbors are professional people that don't make stupid statements like trying to categorize the entire population of a diverse metropolitan area as "hippies and dope smoking tree huggers." In fact one of my neighbors has a degree in forestry and works for a wood products company. I'll ask him how much dope he smoked while hugging trees today. I've got engineers living on either side of me. I'll check to see how much dope them smoked today and if they hugged any trees. Probably negative on the trees because it's wet and windy right now. Not the best weather for tree hugging because the moss gets all over your shirt.

Our area is noted for abundant parks, recreation, scenic beauty, and novel land use/planning. I'm about 1.5 hours from Timberline Ski Resort which is getting a bunch of snow right now and about 1.75 hours from some gorgeous beaches. Newer homes in the neighborhood are about 600K which is chump change for those "hippies and dope smoking tree huggers" so I guess there will be even more of them to contend with.

The one thing we lack is folks like Buckaroo. I just don't talk to many folks that sound like him. But I can always turn on the Springer show I guess....

Amen!

fokkers&beer said:
PDX is a nice place to live. The commute to SEA can be a rough one however. I have talked to many Alaska pilots about there commute. They sometimes have to make the drive. If one Horizon flights cancel, all hell has broke loose between the two cities. On a Thursday night, a flight cancels, and even with the option of sitting up front it can be a three to four hour wait, then no dice on the commute. If you are lucky enough to be based in SEA, live somewhere up there.
The weathere is about the same, wet. The real estate market is a little cheaper, but not really that much. And not commuting is the sweetest plumb of all.

Agreed. I'd live in SEA if my paycheck said Alaska Airlines on it. SEA is more crowded and expensive but not commuting and all the great attractions of Puget Sound, the Olympic Peninsula, San Juan Islands, Mt Rainier, Mt. Baker, British Columbia would make it worthwhile.

Dave Benjamin said:

LOL! Great post! I'm going to one of our great parks by the Willamette River tomorrow and hug a big, mossy, wet tree! Buckaroo must be lost across the 8th dimension, or wherever.

C

Dave Benjamin said:

Nicely put, Dave.

december class?

If you are in the December class, you may as well move to Los Angeles. That's where you'll be sitting reserve for the next year. Seattle base may be reduced in the upcoming bid with growth projected in Anchorage and LAX. No MD slots in the Dec class and you can't bid until you're done with training...late Feb/early March.

If you don't like Seattle's wet weather, you'll really like Portland. It rains more south of the Columbia River than it does in Seattle.

Welcome to Alaska Airlines!

XR650R said:
Try the Vancouver/Camas area, it's right across the river from Oregon. Better schools, 15 minutes from PDX, and no income tax. Oregon has an income tax of about 9.1% but no sales tax. Live in Washington- no income tax, shop in Oregon- no sales tax. Best of both worlds.
I'm in that same boat. The tax break rocks. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back