Portable XM Radio in cabin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OState597

So my boss is always looking for ways to play the newest music onboard his Hawker 800. He has the Audio/Video/DVD/Airshow package installed and plugs his iPod into the Aux input port.

Does anyone know if the handheld XM receivers (designed for portable land use) will work inside a jet cabin? Because if so, one could just use the same Aux-In port to the audio system versus installing a $20,000 XM package for the plane. I know certain Garmin GPS units with XM weather are obviously designed to work inflight at any altitude, Im just trying to figure out if these non-aviation XM devices would work just as well at FL400 inside a cabin.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

the antenna needs to point to the sat. you need an antenna on top, or one on each side window, or you will loose the signal when you turn.

I used a portable XM radio when i flew a Citation and it worked throughout the US but about 200 miles south of the border it would stop working. I know some bluetooth GPS receivers have issues with heated windshields and getting a signal but i haven't tried the XM radio on a heated windshield. Also, you do need a clear view of the southern sky to receive the signal.

I was messing around with a garmin 696 in our Hawker 900 we couldn't get any XM signal. i guess due to the windscreen.

I have used the XM music and weather on my Aera 510 in the Pilatus with heated windshields with no problems. It is pretty sensitive to signal outages in my car though with the antennae on the dash. It would probably not work well in the back of the plane for that reason.

Latest resources

Back