Politics and the Airbus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

N1atEcon

First off this is not a slam on the guys who fly airbus. My intention is not to get into the blah, blah ,stick vs yoke ect. arguement. That has been covered. My intention here is to get other views on airbus on the current world situation.
Fact: France and the EU would like to see a weaker US. Militarily and economically. We are all aware what the US has done in the last 80 years for Europe. Especially France and Germany. Some one help me here but how much $$$$$$$$$$ does France still owe us from WWII? Now these Counties, for their political and economic gain will stop at nothing to hamper our efforts to make the middle east and the world a safer place. They have even put the survival of NATO on the chopping block for their interest.
So my point is this. How can we as patriotic American's speak to the EU and tell them how we feel about these childish antics? BUY AMERICAN!!!!! It will be a sad day in this country when our beloved Boeing is no longer the top dog. I personally think it is sick to see a US Flag carrier with Airbus fleet. While our fellow Americans are being laid off in factories here in the US. Maybe I am old fashioned or maybe it is just my Dad's words running through my head from when I was a kid. He always bought American products and when asked why he would say" I just like to support my neighbors." I just hope in the future we as a country look at where we came from and look at where we are going. My I never see the day Boeing stops making commercial aircraft because its largest customers went overseas for a "good deal." in closing: Buy American and hire american. Hiring foreigners that take jobs from Johny and Suzie and gives them to Thibo and Gretchen is equally sickening. Good day to all and God Bless the USA.

Don't you all see that if we buy all our products made in other countries there will be no one left here who can afford to fly in the French jets?
Can anyone really argue with that?

60% of the Airbus is made from parts made in the USA. Boeing has a plant in China and they can't wait to shut down the Long Beach operation. With the new world order who knows where an aircraft is built. God bless America!

Made in the USA

Do we really know where are products come from. My Nissan was made in Nashville TN and my Dodge Ram was made in Mexico.

Just a side note, Easy Jet a low cost EU carrier just place an order for 18 737-800 over AB. They also have options for more but not sure what they are.

made in USA

It's safe to say the profits from your Nissan didn't go to anyone in Nashville.... They went over to Japan. The profits from the Airbus (if they make one) go to the French.

It's sad to send so much income to a society that openly hates Americans.

God bless the USA

I stole this from another website.

So the French still aren't on board with us kicking Iraq's ass. Oh boo hoo. Let's take a look at the mighty French military prowess, shall we?

Gallic Wars - Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

Hundred Years War - Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare: "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman."

Italian Wars - Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians. Wars of Religion - France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots.

Thirty Years War - France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

War of Devolution - Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

The Dutch War - Tied

War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War Lost, but claimed as a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power.

War of the Spanish Succession - Lost. The War also gave the French their first taste of a Marlboro, which they have loved every since.

American Revolution - In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare: "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

French Revolution - Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

The Napoleonic Wars - Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

The Franco-Prussian War - Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk Frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

World War I - Tied and pissing their pants on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

World War II - Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

War in Indochina - Lost. French forces plead sickness, take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu.

Algerian Rebellion - Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare: "We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese and Esquimaux.

War on Terrorism - France, keeping in mind its recent history, surrenders to Germans and Muslims just to be safe. Attempts to surrender to Vietnamese ambassador fail after he takes refuge in a McDonald's.

The question for any country silly enough to count on the French should not be "Can we count on the French?", but rather "How long until France surrenders?"

Buy American....

I agree on the desire to support our country economically with my buying power. However, the world IS changing.... I HIGHLY recommend reading the "Lexus and the Olive Tree: Understanding Globalization".

FYI - Here is the review from Barnes & Nobel;
Tred

From the Publisher
As the Foreign Affairs columnist for The New York Times, Thomas L. Friedman has traveled to the four corners of the globe, interviewing people from all walks of contemporary life — Brazilian peasants in the Amazon rain forest, new entrepreneurs in Indonesia, Islamic students in Teheran, and the financial wizards on Wall Street and in Silicon Valley.
Now Friedman has drawn on his years on the road to produce an engrossing and original look at the new international system that, more than anything else, is shaping world affairs today: globalization.

His argument can be summarized quite simply. Globalization is not just a phenomenon and not just a passing trend. It is the international system that replaced the Cold War system. Globalization is the integration of capital, technology, and information across national borders, in a way that is creating a single global market and, to some degree, a global village.

You cannot understand the morning news or know where to invest your money or think about where the world is going unless you understand this new system, which is influencing the domestic policies and international relations of virtually every country in the world today. And once you do understand the world as Friedman explains it, you'll never look at it quite the same way again.

With vivid stories and a set of original terms and concepts, Friedman shows us how to see this new system. He dramatizes the conflict of "the Lexus and the olive tree" — the tension between the globalization system and ancient forces of culture, geography, tradition, and community. He also details the powerful backlash that globalization produces among those who feel brutalized by it, and he spells out what we all need to do to keep this system in balance.

Finding the proper balance between the Lexus and the olive tree is the great drama of the globalization era, and the ultimate theme of Friedman's challenging, provocative book — essential reading for all who care about how the world really works.

Thomas L. Friedman is one of America's leading interpreters of world affairs. Born in Minneapolis in 1953, he was educated at Brandeis University and St. Antony's College, Oxford. His first book, From Beirut to Jerusalem,won the National Book Award in 1988. Mr. Friedman has also won two Pulitzer Prizes for his reporting for The New York Times as bureau chief in Beirut and in Jerusalem. He lives in Bethesda, Maryland, with his wife, Ann, and their daughters, Orly and Natalie.

Just an opinion folks - hopefully I can leave the fire extinguisher under the kitchen sink....... Tred;)

I'm not sure about where the profits of the actual sale of an airbus aircraft go, but I do know where the profits from the purchase and use of an airbus aircraft go. (Thank you very much for the profit sharing check!) David Neeleman responds to this argument by stating that about 40% of an Boeing is manufactured offshore, while about 40% of an airbus is manufactured in the U.S. Does that 20% difference REALLY make a difference in U.S. employment? I know about 4500 people at jetBlue that are pretty happy to have jobs in today's economy who are also pretty glad that we can make money with the A320.

These arguments about the national origin of our products are really a waste of time in today's global economy. If you stop by WalMart (which once touted their Made in the USA loyalty), you will notice that virtually every piece of clothing, shoes, and many other products are made in China. Meanwhile, lots of Americans have jobs in the management, distribution, and sale of those products. They don't have to be manufactured here to create jobs for Americans. Would I like for them to be manufactured in the US? Sure, if somebody truly wants that kind of menial manufacturing job. But are we willing to pay 3-4 times the price for the product? We haven't been willing to do so yet! People will buy the cheapest product most of the time. That's just life and basic economics.

Latest resources

Back