• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Police Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I get Professional Pilot magazine (freebie) every month. They have been highlighting a different police aviation unit every month. From what I recall it seems that most require you to be on patrol first, but NY State Police does not, which surprised me. You might check and see if they have an on line site or see if you can get a copy and contact the editor to see if you can get more info

From my time interning with the Omaha Police Air Support unit I learned that the police units want pilots with time on the streets. They want the pilot to know how a criminal will react based off of experience. Also, units with civilian pilots tend to not have the success rate as those with sworn officers at the controls.

NYPD pilots are all officers first... and it's a bit political to get into the unit. A few of us (controllers) got a tour of their operation back in 01' ... VERY IMPRESSIVE ... the whole unit are officers from the pilots to mechanics. They were a very friendly group, probably one of the most impressive tours I have ever taken. I hear LAPD has the same type of operation...

I wonder what kinda hours you need to fly Blue Thunder for the LAPD ? :p

DX Rick said:
I know if Illinois, you must be a cop before a pilot. Too bad they don't hire from the street.
I assume other agencies have the same policy

Does illinois fly something besides C-172 for traffic violations?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back