• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Polar Air Cargo ON STRIKE!

Total Time
7000+
POLAR AIR CARGO IS ON STRIKE!

Fellow aviators, please help in getting the Polar guys and gals home. Hopefully there will be a quick resolution to this.

Good luck.

FNG_that's me

Total Time
>1500
Good luck to all the gents and gentettes at Polar. Know that every pilot worth his/her salt is behind ya!!

Let us know what we can do to help!!

Total Time
7000+
Press Release

WASHINGTON, Sept. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- The following statement was issued today by Captain Bobb Henderson, chairman of the Polar Air Cargo crewmembers' Master Executive Council, a unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA).

"As of 1:34 a.m. EDT, on September 16th, Polar Air Cargo crewmembers are on strike. We have negotiated with our management for more than two years to achieve a fair contract that recognizes our real worth to this company. Polar crewmembers have numerous years of flight experience and advanced education, and are simply not fairly compensated for an airline of this size, sophistication, and profitability. In response to our concerns about compensation, our management has generally offered nothing more than numbers that were well below what our peers are paid. They have continued to negotiate using smoke, mirrors, and slight of hand. We are saddened that management has refused to address our issues at the negotiating table prior to our strike deadline, leaving us with no choice but to walk away from our livelihoods to get the contract that we deserve. We have always been prepared to settle but management has forced our hand to exercise our self-help option.

"We feel that our proposal is fair and reasonable and we remain fully committed to working with management to resolve this situation. After all, we are professional airline pilots, and we want to be flying, not walking the picket line."

Polar Air Cargo crewmembers have been in contract negotiations since February 2003 and in mediation since June of that year.

Polar Air Cargo is a U.S. certificated all cargo air carrier operating a fleet of 12 Boeing 747 freighters in a global scheduled-service network that serves major trade lanes around the world. Polar is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, Inc. (OTC: AAWW.PK - News), based in Purchase, NY.

Formed in 1931, ALPA is the world's largest pilots union, representing 64,000 airline pilots at 41 carriers in the United States and Canada. Its Web site is at http://www.alpa.org.

320AV8R

DUMP ALPA
Total Time
2 much
POLAR guys & gals-

This news is unfortunate.

Hopefully there will be a quick resolution to this.

HANG IN THERE !!!

320AV8R

krewmeel

Bench the Beavers
Total Time
45 yrs
What's the Atlas side doing about this?

If the Atlas pilots have any stones at all they will strike with the Polar guys and shut down the entire operation, especially since they are next. Of course ALPA is not likely to authorize anything like this as DW is to busy worrying about the future of his pension at the moment.

Erndogg

Total Time
13000+
Just wanted to give my support to the Polar guys and my bud- Whale Rider walking the line at LAX today.

Keep it up guys and hope for the best outcome!

doh

Jump seat shrink
Total Time
48 yrs
My support as well. Where do we send the check?

Heavy Set

Total Time
Good luck guys! I agree that the Atlas pilots should show some unity - otherwise this whipsaw will bite them in the a$$ next time around....

banger

Total Time
Anytime anywhere your welcome on my jumpseat!

- All the best

L

lufthansa B727

Flame Post has been De-Jerkked

useless post

Last edited by a moderator:

Geronimo4497

Total Time
lufthansa B727 said:
When are they hiring Captain's off the street? I don't fly as FO.
I want the -400, I have too many hours on the -200.
FLAME

#1 Windmilling

Total Time
5,000+
Just took a Polar guy home on the jumpseat after he called in sick in JFK and was glad to support him in any way possible. I am a B6 guy and more than happy to open up all our jumpseats to anyone at any time. Say what you want about B6, but most of the pilots "get it" at B6. Fly safe.

#1 W

Whale Rider

Unity is Our Strength
Total Time
Erndogg said:
Just wanted to give my support to the Polar guys and my bud- Whale Rider walking the line at LAX today.

Keep it up guys and hope for the best outcome!
Thanks Erndogg! And thank you all for looking after our crew members in bringing them home from the far reaches of the world!:D

boeingdriver

Total Time
12K +
If you guys see ANY ATA aircraft on the ramp and you need a ride home, jump onboard!!!

We will get you back home.

Good luck...I think everybody is gonna need it in this industry.