Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a minute there!!

cathaywannabe said:
I'm a certified weather observer, so I'll try and help you out with this one.

LTG DSNT ALQDS = lightning distance all quads
TSE06B17RAEMM = thunderstorm ended 6 minutes past hour, began 17 minutes past hour. Rain ended, but end time is unknown (LEDWI, or light emmiting diode weather indicator probably failed for a period of time).
SLP130 = sea level pressure 1013.0 hectopascals
P0000 = precipitation since last hourly observation "trace"
60000 = precipitation in last 6 hours "trace"
T02110178 = temperature 21.1 C / dewpoint 17.8 C (ASOS measures in farenheit whole numbers than coverts to closest celsius degrees in tenths).
<<snip>>

I'm curious too; how did the TS's end 11 minutes before they began?

And why, if the ASOS reports in degrees Fahrenheit, don't they just leave it in degrees Fahrenheit? :confused:

Sounds like a commie plot to me. :mad:

PS As a certified weather observer, one might find it helpful if one learned how to spell Fahrenheit. :rolleyes: :)

Happy Fourth of July!!

Flylo said:
I'm curious too; how did the TS's end 11 minutes before they began?
Perhaps there was more than one thunderstorm. :)

Flylo said:
And why, if the ASOS reports in degrees Fahrenheit, don't they just leave it in degrees Fahrenheit? :confused: .
Standardization would be my guess. Most aircraft performance charts and such have temps listed in Celcius.

User997 said:
OK, now my followup question... WHY on earth do we need this much information in a METAR? And I'm referring to everything after the "T-Storms End/Began" statement?! Does anyone truly use this info when they're flying or before they takeoff?
User997 said:
I'm curious, how does one become a certified weather observer, and also what is LAWRS that a coupl eof you referred to?

You don't need all this info but what most people forget or don't realize is that a lot of other government agencies and individuals use these reports too. We tend to think of them as only aviation weather reports.

As far as becoming a weather observer goes... you have to do some training which, for me, was pretty basic and consisted of here is how the equipment works, here is what we do with the forms, here are our visibility markers, here is the gouge, read it, etc. Pretty basic, really. Then you take a written test and do an observed observation. At least that is what I had to do. You asked about LAWRS... that stands for Limited Aviation Weather Reporting Station. Basically, a LAWRS is a facility where the obs are usually taken by ATC and depending on the equipment they have, they may or may not have all the same requirements that other stations have. In my case, I worked a tower after-hours. The CTO's would take the obs while they were open for business and the contractor I worked for handled the after-hours stuff. As far as I know, there isn't a minimum requirement to apply for a job other than being able to see. However, the place I worked for would only hire meteorologists or instrument-rated pilots. It isn't rocket science but passing the test isn't necessarily a given either. FWIW, I think all the controllers failed it at least once and so did most of the meteorologist types working for us. There were a couple of us pilots working there and we passed on the first try... so score one for us. Actually, it probably has a lot more to do with where your interests lie (at least in the case of the controllers) and being used to taking these types of tests than it does knowledge or ability. I don't work there anymore but it was a great job. Get paid to do what amounts to five minutes work an hour (unless the weather is crap) and, in between, get paid to do whatever else to pass the time.

cc

EDIT: Skyboy was correct... one TS ended 6 minutes past the hour, another began 17 minutes past. Temp is in Celsius because that is the World Meteorological Organization's standard.

Last edited:
It says its OK weather with some showers around and a bit breezy.

The rest is masterbation.

Latest resources

Back