Plastic, or Metal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyChicaga

I'm looking at the Purdy Neat Things 22" rollaboards, and I see they have both metal and plastic frames. Any recommendation which is best? I know they are heavy... of course the plastic will be lighter. Just wondering if it will last longer with the metal.

FlyChicaga said:
I'm looking at the Purdy Neat Things 22" rollaboards, and I see they have both metal and plastic frames. Any recommendation which is best? I know they are heavy... of course the plastic will be lighter. Just wondering if it will last longer with the metal.
Fly,

If you NEVER check your bag to deadhead or non-rev, the plastic will be OK. But, can the plastic frame withstand being tossed, along with umpteen other huge bags, into the bin by the pilot-hating rampers ? I've even heard of a metal frame being broken.

I've had the metal frame for many, many years and not had a problem. Of course, it makes the bag a bit heavy.

I've seen the metal frame bags bent to hell in the cargo hold.
The plastic seems to be high quality stuff that won't bend or break it will just flex when hit and return to form. I plan on buying the plastic frame when my travelpro dies.

Last edited:
I bought a metal framed one, and my roomate bought the plastic one a few months ago. We are both careful with our stuff, and his is allready broken. He says he won't buy the plastic again, and I never would. It's not just putting it in the back, either. My roomate's broke on the part that keeps the frame from collapsing when it holds up your flight case. Mine is metal, and I never have to worry about it. Also, the handle is plastic on his, and mine is stainless steel. You can buy just the handle, but I would prefer an all metal bag. It's true it will be a bit heavier, but how much trouble is that compared to replacing it every six months?

I've had the plastic frame for a couple of years. No problems. The handle on the plastic framed PNS is NOT plastic. It's black steel, where as the handle on the metal framed bag is polished aluminum.

I've had a metal framed PNT bag for about 8 years now(and I suspect I will have it another 8-10 at the rate it's going now). Back then, all the offered was the metal. I think the plastic came about when people were complaining about the weight of the metal frame bags. Personally, I'd rather have a metal frame bag and deal with the extra weight than have a plastic frame bag and deal with it breaking. I've seen the plastic ones break...but I haven't seen a metal frame break.

Because I own the plastic model, I say get the metal one. Mine is still a great bag and completely usable, but has developed a small crack next to the starboard "foot" radiating from a screw hole. I had made a modification to the foot area which probably weakened it.

Latest resources

Back