Plane lands on highway in TN....pilot killed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skyline said:
I would like it much better if these things were firmly tied down in a museum.

Skyline

Yeh, it would be soo much cooler to see our past sitting indoors than out and flying like it was built to do.. :rolleyes:

enigma said:
:D WRONG:D, two merlins beats it!
Wrong, four Merlins on an Avro Lancaster.:beer:

The RAF maintains a fleet of war birds as a flying tribute to those who served in WW2. Known as the Battle of Britian Memorial Flight, the aircraft are flown and maintained by the RAF. National Heritage preserved and flying as a reminder to current and future generations.

Last edited:
It is a sad thing that the pilot died but these confederate air force and rich guys are steadily crashing our national heritage. I would like it much better if these things were firmly tied down in a museum.

Here, let me pile on:

Skyline,

I would suggest that you take the direct approach on this problem. Rather than trying to force someone to do what YOU would like with THEIR property, why don't YOU come up with the means to buy a warbird and place it in a museum. I would suggest you not even spend the energy replying to this post, but instead make an appeal to like minded folks to form an organization devoted to the raising of money to facilitate the grounding of warbirds.

I am sure you will find plenty of support right here on this board...

NOT.

Skyline said:
I guess that I am a threat to you somehow. Perhaps I should take it as a complement, or maybe I am touching a nerve. In any case I am glad to have reached you.

Skyline

No, it's not that your a threat or that you are touching a nerve.. it's just that you are a tool..

OK Knucklehead

Skyline said:
Warbirds were meant to kill and to be killed, so I guess they are fulfilling their mission.

Will no one acknowledge the fact that we are loosing them at an alarming rate? Once they are gone it's over.

How sad will you be when the last one augers in? It is short sighted and selfish to fly these things. We are bringing an end to the entire fleet one at a time. I think it is a selfish crime.

It makes me sad every time I read another article about a smoking hole that was a rare piece of history. You guys are like loggers. They are not happy until the last tree is down. They never stop to realize that they are sowing the seeds of their own destruction. Greedily killing the one thing they love most one at a time.

Skyline

You are posting very good evidence that you have the reading comprehension skills of a f*cking dung beatle.

However, like I said, you may very well get your wish. If the increasing scarcity of parts does not ground them, then sometime in the distant future the increasing scarcity of recoverable fossil fuels will. But, at least for the foreseeable future, the warbird population will continue to grow. I can personaly speak for the fact that, over the next several years, the P-47 population will likely grow at least in the neighborhood of 50%, and the Tigercat and B-29 population may very well double.

There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 Mustangs in flyable condition, which is a higher number than many of our current military aircraft. Should we ground the B-1B, B-2, F-117, B-52, C-141, C-5, EA-6, etc. too?

Well.. The Navy's doing their best to ground anything but the 18's.. :)

It has come to my attention that Vance was a retired FedEx Captain. Yepp, he's got bazillionaire painted all over him.

Seriously, grounded hulks collecting dust in a few museums around the world can be appreciated by a few people. Flying specimens of those same airplanes travelling the country can be appreciated my untold mutliples more of people. More people see them, and more people can be motivated to financially support the efforts to restore and care for them. I applaud their efforts.

Rest in Peace, Captain Vance.

You Guys

Dudes,

Man you guys are sure a nice bunch. I am encouraged by some of your posts however. First of all I had no idea that there are 350 mustangs still out there. I have been flying for 20 years and have only seen one.

And secondly someone posted about how the lack of parts will probably ground most in short order.

Thanks for all the warm and positive messages. As I said many times before it is just my opinion and fortunately for everyone's sake I am not the president of the universe,, yet.

Best of luck to you all, Stay crazy and lets Keep them flying !!!
(And not crashing as much)

Skyline

Skyline said:
Dudes,

Man you guys are sure a nice bunch. I am encouraged by some of your posts however. First of all I had no idea that there are 350 mustangs still out there. I have been flying for 20 years and have only seen one.

And secondly someone posted about how the lack of parts will probably ground most in short order.

Thanks for all the warm and positive messages. As I said many times before it is just my opinion and fortunately for everyone's sake I am not the president of the universe,, yet.

Best of luck to you all, Stay crazy and lets Keep them flying !!!
(And not crashing as much)

Skyline

...so maybe you're not a total douche after all, eh? :) Just kidding...I'm glad we can all kiss and make up. :beer:

Latest resources

Back