Plane Banks Uncontrollably - Parachute Saves Day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nip'n at the egg nog a little too much?

You would rather shoot a NDB approach, while picking up ice, than do a GPS approach? So you might DIE doing the NDB approach, but you would pick that over the GPS approach and no ice?

I hope that isn't a "situation" question on your Comm checkride.

minitour said:
Hell, I'd rather an NDB to weather minimums picking up ice on a windy day running on fumes than a d*mn GPS approach

Vik said:
Nip'n at the egg nog a little too much?

You would rather shoot a NDB approach, while picking up ice, than do a GPS approach? So you might DIE doing the NDB approach, but you would pick that over the GPS approach and no ice?

I hope that isn't a "situation" question on your Comm checkride.
I hear that, what's so hard about a GPS approach? Everyone I have flown have been cake, what am I missing? I think NDB's suck!

TDTURBO said:
I hear that, what's so hard about a GPS approach? Everyone I have flown have been cake, what am I missing? I think NDB's suck!
GPSs and I don't get a long yet...I think I just haven't read enough about them to really understand how they work and why they do what they do...anyone got good books out there other than owners manuals?

NDBs at least I understand as well as VORs and LOC/ILS systems...

Those approaches are fairly straight forward...with a GPS you're always programming and pushing buttons and...eek...

Maybe it was just since it was my first time, but the workload seemed WAY higher on a GPS approach than it ever was on an NDB, VOR, ILS, LOC, etc. approach...

-mini

PS
Vik, I hope so too...since here the entire commercial "stage" is done VFR...no approaches, no hood time... I feel like I could still do it (NDB) but it's been a while...at least a month...so yeah...give me the ILS!

KeroseneSnorter said:
Have you had an MRI recently? You should make an appointment.

I 2nd that

GPS is cake man.. whats the big deal ? Better to learn to like it, cause everything these days will be moving to full glass cockpits.

Latest resources

Back