Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Plan A,b,c What Will Airtrans Next Move Be?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Been on the east side since 89. Only spent 6 years on the property due to furloughs. They don't need any excuse to furlough you,they just do it and remind you to not let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.If any of you have a better gig,stay there,this group is ruthless and will always be that way.

Heard letters went out to Dec 89.

Just spoke with Charmane and she said no recalls for march. Will not have to send out anymore letters to fill bid 07-02. Went down to seniority number 3570.

Hopefully this delay is due to training back-up and not due to the proposed merger and the anticipated large job cuts!

I have an interview with XTRA,do you know anything about the company and how the working conditions are there?

Thanks

You sure not a usair furloghee.... I don't think that counts as working for one of the big fish?

and yes I have nothing better to do..

I hope Airtran continues to do well. JB and Airtran seem to be rubbing noses in a few markets and I am sure it will continue as Airtran and JB look for strategic growth opportunities.

Everyone talks about lean and mean legacy airlines.. The fun is already starting look for work slowdowns, sick outs, strike organizations etc etc etc.. The pilots that took a bath want their piece of the pie and the 10 year cycle will once again repeat itself.

To be perfectly honest I hope Delta gets spanked in their never ending attempt to destroy everything that is not delta..

Airtran's has very low debt for the size of their operation and is and will remain a viable company into the future.

Airtran has very low debt and still has lower costs than any of the legacy outfits.
I noticed several folks posted about "watch out" - "the big airlines are coming out of bankruptcy". "AirTran is in trouble".
Your logic is a little off. Right now the likes of Delta don't care if they lose $5 or 50 million. They are in bankruptcy. When they come out, they should make decisions that gets them profits and keeps them from having to go back to bankruptcy court. Their costs and prices can only go up.

I'd have to agree with ski on this one. It's a new ball game when a BK outfit emerges. Right now, to use DAL as an example, but it's all the same.....

...they have beat up the unions, lease holders, an anyone else they have to pay or owe money to, to get to the absolute lowest level. Once they emerge from protection, expect some profitable qtrs...then the unions want their cut, they will want to buy planes, get gates...etc...

...but none of this process is new...it's been done coutless times before, so we all know, including the investor, what to expect....It's not like there are any surprises right?

How long did the government tolerate TWA, for example?

fun to watch.

Last edited:
You have a lot to learn when it comes to airlines. Many airlines have come and gone with the same pedigree as Airtran. No trying to be sarcastic,only realistic. Some folks have a hard time facing up to the facts. Airtran is about to be swallowed by a bunch of really big,lean hungry fish.

Well, it looks like some toes were stepped on! Did you try to come to AirTran when you were furloughed from US Airways? Perhaps you should seek anger management since you are taking this message board thing way too personal. Thank you, but my knowledge of the airline industry is good enough. I know for one, you wishing AirTran out of business for some reason doesn't make you a king of knowledge in this industry.

AirTran management is being proactive and trying to run an airline. They see a possible opportunity in Midwest. If it doesn't work out, they will look at other options. I like you can't begin to say what those options are. However, with a low cost structure, a good east coast route structure, new aircraft, and a company that has been profitable every year post 9/11, I like are chances.

You sure not a usair furloghee.... I don't think that counts as working for one of the big fish?

and yes I have nothing better to do..
She is a bitter old fart who wants desperately for someone to share in her misery. Don't take the bait.

We are pretty much at the same pay rates on the f/o sides
Oh yeah, I re-read that this morning and realized that probably came across bad, sorry about that. :)

Didn't mean it as a slap in the face or anything; you're absolutely right, both our rates are within $1 an hour of each other on the F/O side.

That said, they ARE the lowest in the industry in terms of major airline pay.

In other words, we're BOTH the bottom of the barrel. The only reason I came here and accepted that pay was on the reasonable gamble that upgrade was quick.

Just can't imagine getting added to an airline where upgrades are 7-10 years on those F/O rates. I would have stayed at my regional in the top 10% of the seniority list making half again the money I make here as an F/O and kept apps in at better-paying majors.

Also, don't think that Midwest need any more 717's, we have enough for what we need them for, we DO need a long range money saving a/c which will replace the 80's.
That's definitely true, and I hope you guys get it.

And stay separate. ;)

Have a great weekend!

Well, it looks like some toes were stepped on! Did you try to come to AirTran when you were furloughed from US Airways? Perhaps you should seek anger management since you are taking this message board thing way too personal. Thank you, but my knowledge of the airline industry is good enough. I know for one, you wishing AirTran out of business for some reason doesn't make you a king of knowledge in this industry.

AirTran management is being proactive and trying to run an airline. They see a possible opportunity in Midwest. If it doesn't work out, they will look at other options. I like you can't begin to say what those options are. However, with a low cost structure, a good east coast route structure, new aircraft, and a company that has been profitable every year post 9/11, I like are chances.

3.3 million loss,it's only the tip of the iceburg,more to come,stay tuned.

Latest resources

Back