• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The importance of proper punctuation

The value of the apostrophe:

BornAgainPagan said:
At 2117:50, the pilot contacted ATC and stated, "Sir, I'm gonna keep trying to come to Austin, my, ruh, engines cutting in and out."
Notice he said "engines". This could mean that he either misspoke or there was some kind of problem with the other engine.
Or it could mean that the person who transcribed the tape made a grammatical error.

Based on the context, I would have transcribed "engine's", the contraction for "engine is." In other words, he used the common contraction to say "my engine IS cutting in and out." If both had been cutting out, he would have said "my engines are cutting out" or "my engines're cutting out."

TonyC said:
The value of the apostrophe:

Or it could mean that the person who transcribed the tape made a grammatical error.

Based on the context, I would have transcribed "engine's", the contraction for "engine is." In other words, he used the common contraction to say "my engine IS cutting in and out." If both had been cutting out, he would have said "my engines are cutting out" or "my engines're cutting out."
That is a likely scenario. There are other possibilities. Perhaps a stretch but, it could have also been that the pilot, as pilots on the radio often do, used improper grammar. There could have been a pause between "engines" and "cutting". The guy was probably under stress etc. Anyway, my main point was that there are premature conclusions being made.

okay, too much time on me hands

Back to my JetBlue

I love to stir things up on this board.

Do you think I am serious?

Poor soul and his 2 pax.

God bless them all.

Back to my JetBlue.

Latest resources

Back