Pitts S1S or Yak 55M

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

corky

What to buy....anyone ever flown the Pitts s1s AND the Yak 55 and care to compare? Which would you buy?

I have looked at this too and own a Pitts S1S.
The Yac 55M has better power to weight ratio and may out performe a stock S1S, but cost much more to purchase and operate.
I feel the S1S is the most bang for the buck is aerobatics.
The 55M cost less (to purchase) than an MX2 or Edge 540.
How much do you want to spend?

Well the market for the 55 is 40 to 60k...a bit more than the s1s but I spend it if its worth it

Well the market for the 55 is 40 to 60k...a bit more than the s1s but I'll spend it if its worth it

If you can live with the extra $$ for purchase and maintenance and about two times the fuel burn then the 55M would be my choice.

Yes the radial sound alone is worth the extra fuel burn for me. How do you learn to fly the Yak? I guess get in and go.

Be very cautious buying into the Yak community. Parts are becoming a bit of an issue and since there is not a ton of -55's, you may run into worse issues. The Russians have a firm grasp on capitalism and are raping the west for parts. For example, a new main bottle will run you around $500.00. An air compressor...about $800.00. Two blade props are about 5K. Then there is the fuel burn issue. If you are out playing, you will see over 20GPH. If you do buy one, get the spark plug mod..way cheaper to replace and makes then thing run better...smoother. $2.50 per plug versus about $25.00.

Honestly...Yaks are a GREAT product..they are wonderful airplanes. If there were an unlimited supply of parts, I would go Yak without a doubt. But not having that, I would go Pitts...and it really pains me to say that.

Have someone who knows Yaks inspect the thing. They will KNOW what to look for. As for insurance, go with Tom Johnson at Airpower...he is a Yak-50 owner and a great friend to the community.

http://airpowerinsurance.com/

Again, Yaks a great airplanes and a ton of fun...but parts are a concern. Just so you know.

Latest resources

Back