Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hopeless_in_GA

665 Neighbor of the Beast
Airline bans 'over-aggressive' pit bulls.

BBC On Line ^ | Saturday, 17 August, 2002 |

American Airlines have banned over-aggressive dogs, after a pit bull terrier caused havoc in the cargo hold on a flight from San Diego to New York.

The Boeing 757 was out of service for nine days after the dog escaped from its cage and gnawed through electrical cables the thickness of a garden hose.

The crew heard repeated thumping in the hold and discovered back-up radio equipment and some navigation aids were not working.

The dog's overactive chewing did not cause damage to any vital systems, and the aircraft was not in any danger, the airline said.

As well as destroyed cabling, the masticating mastiff gnawed a hole in a bulkhead and damaged the cargo hold door in the incident last month.

Loose dog

The ground crew found the dog loose in the hold of the plan after landing.

"It turns out the dog did quite a bit of damage," said American Airlines spokeswoman Tara Baten.

As a result, rottweilers, Doberman pinschers, Staffordshire terriers and pit bull terriers have been banned.

Continental Airlines has already banned pit bulls.

The American Kennel Club said the ban was unjustified and called for it to be lifted.

"Regulations should not be based on breed identity. A dog's behaviour, and not its breed, should determine whether it is accepted for air shipment," said the club's chief executive, Alfred L Cheaure.

He said that a problem with the cage, not the dog, had been responsible for the problem.

But one Dallas breeder of Staffordshire terriers had some sympathy with American Airlines.

"It's pretty scary to have a dog come out of a crate and wreak havoc," said Carla Restivo.

So far, American Airlines has not yet sought damages from the dog's owners, who had paid $177.78 to send the animal across the US.

:D

I can only think of what the first words were out of the cargo handlers mouth when they opened the hold up to see a Pitbull staring at him. :confused:

Sounds just like the knotheads that want to outlaw handguns. Just because one person shot another person. One bad apple and the whole bushel is bad. That's reasonable thinking.

You aint seen nothin!

Could have been worse, my wife could have been down there instead of that tame Pit Bull!
:eek:

I've got the pics of the cargo bay on my computer, but I can't post attachments. If you want to see them PM me and I'll email them back. They're nothing spectacular-unless you remember it was done by a dog!

Dep676 said:
Sounds just like the knotheads that want to outlaw handguns. Just because one person shot another person. One bad apple and the whole bushel is bad. That's reasonable thinking.
Hey, I'm pro-gun (pro-constitution), but those d@mn dogs bother me. I've got a real concern about them getting ahold of one of my kids at the beach, park or wherever people bring those things. talk about an unpredictable menace!

Like Aggiepilot87, I'm pro-handgun/pro-constitution too. The thing is there's a fundamental different between a gun and a dog. Without a human attatched, a gun is just a cold, inert piece of metal. The dog, on the other hand, acts of it's own impulse, and according to it's temperment and training. The fact is, Dobermans, rottweilers, pit-bulls, wolf hybrids, and such can and do kill people, all by themselves. I recall looking at the pedigree for a pitbull terrier once. What struck me was that all the dogs in the ancestry had names like "darth Vadar" "menace" and such, all suggestive of evil and violence. This, to me indicates that, not only the owners, but the breeders also, value the agressive nature and baaaad reputation of the dogs. Would it be a stretch to suggest that they even encourage it?

Every time this subject comes up, some buffoon stands up for the local reporters and babbles on about how the pit bull is really a sweet tempered, cuddly creature which loves childeren. Uh huh, right. Let's be serious for a moment. You don't get a pit bull, or a rottweiler, because you heard they were good with childeren, you get one because you want a bad, mean, a$$-kicking dog. To suggest otherwise, is completely dishonest. If the airlines, which are private entities, wish to refuse to carry certain animals, that's their perrogative.

regards

I don't dispute the pitbulls. I wouldn't even want to be around one. As far as the other breeds they are good dogs. It just depends on how they are raised. I have been bitten by a poodle and some other some breed of dog. Those are the ones that you need to watch out for.

When I am riding in the cruiser with the full-times guys they get calls all the times for "viscious dogs". They show up and the dog jumps in the cruiser or comes over and plays with the dep's until they find the owner. People read or saw on the news that one of those dogs bit somebody. So that must make the whole breed bad. So it's just in how they are brought up. I had a great dane and some many people were scared just because of his size. He was great around any kids. He would lick you to death before he would think about biting you. His bark was pretty scary though. That was the worse part about him.

My neighbor has a rottweiler and I wouldn't even hesitate leaving my kids over there with him. So to put on these dogs in the same boat because of one bad apple is nonsense. I again stress that I don't like pit-bulls. So many of them have been inbreed and that just ruins the dogs.

As far as the name of a dog. That is the owner choice. That's like saying everybody with the name Joe or Tom for example are bad people. Just call your local jail and find out if any of the inmates have your name or your kids name. Then that must make them a bad person because they have they same name as an inmate.

Latest resources

Back