Pit to Boi trip, need advice.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

usairpit

Have a trip coming up to the Boi area. Most of my flying has been done on the east coast, looking for advice on crossing the mountains.Plane will be a Arrow with new 3 blade prop. Doing the trip vfr.
Thanks

Fly early, 6a.m. to noon. Lots of routes possible, but I-80 to SLC, then I-15/I-84 to BOI probably keeps the crossing elevations the lowest. I won't go into detail here, there's lots of info available regarding mountain flying, high DA, and leaning procedures, but, basically, learn to use that red knob on your throttle quadrant. Have fun, sounds like a great trip!

Last edited:
Airnav.com, look up gas prices before you go. I flew a similar route once, planning to follow I- 80. I ended up flying north around Casper to stay below the clouds and over lower terrain.

If you're looking for more flat land, there's plenty along the Snake river in Idaho, otherwise, I'll agree that I-84 through Utah is pretty scenic, or you might like to see the Grand Tetons, Craters of the Moon, and the mountains around Sun Valley on a more northerly route.

It wont be a hard trip at all. I live in Boise and while there are mountains around, its certainly not like flying into Aspen or Telluride. Should be a no brainer. Some nice scenery once you get to Wyoming and Montana.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back