Pit Shutting Down?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetdok

CHICAGO, Oct 3 (Reuters) - US Airways Group Inc (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research) will reduce the number of flights in January from its unprofitable Pittsburgh hub, a move that will cut about 450 airline jobs there, the airline said on Wednesday.
The No. 7 U.S. air carrier, formed by the 2005 merger of US Airways and America West, said it will trim the number of daily flights its operates in Pittsburgh to 22 from 31. The reduction will cut the number of daily regional flights by its affiliates to about 46 from 77.
"Unfortunately our ability to operate profitably from Pittsburgh has been sharply eroded over the past few years and the hub lost more than $40 million over the past 12 months alone," Chief Executive Doug Parker said in a statement.
US Airways said the move means that the carrier's mainline airport agents and ramp employees will take over customer service and ground-handling duties for 350 US Airways Express employees. The express employees, along with 100 mainline airport employees, will be offered other jobs at US Airways.
The carrier said the job cuts will not lead to lay-offs and that it will pay severance to those who choose to leave the company.
US Airways said it would meet with airport officials to discuss the number of gates it will need after the cuts. The airline currently leases 29 gates in Pittsburgh. US Airways did not offer an estimate on the costs associated with downsizing its Pittsburgh operations.
Shares of US Airways were up 74 cents at $29.39 on the New York Stock Exchange in midday trade.

US Airways said the move means that the carrier's mainline airport agents and ramp employees will take over customer service and ground-handling duties for 350 US Airways Express employees. The express employees, along with 100 mainline airport employees, will be offered other jobs at US Airways.

Could be worse -- in a lot of those scenarios, it's the mainline staff that gets canned, and the express carriers that handle everything. Glad it's going the other way, at least.

Could be worse -- in a lot of those scenarios, it's the mainline staff that gets canned, and the express carriers that handle everything. Glad it's going the other way, at least.

Except for the 500 some-odd pilots and flight attendants that had their base closed. And commuting on company metal, now that the flying is reduced further? EGAD.

A total nightmare for them.

Except for the 500 some-odd pilots and flight attendants that had their base closed. And commuting on company metal, now that the flying is reduced further? EGAD.

I didn't say the downsizing was good! The "good" part, as it were, was that higher-paying mainline ground jobs were kept over express jobs.

Believe me, I know all about crappy commutes. :eek:

I'm glad someone posted about this. I was DHing thru PIT today and everyone was running around with their heads cut off. I didn't have time to ask what was happening.
Thanks !

I wonder what they lose in PHL with all the delays and lost luggage? USAir cut so many flights from PIT that there was no way to make money from the operation. CAL makes maoney in CLE, a smaller town and DAL makes money in CVG, also a smaller town. USAir just doesn't want to be in PIT anymore. PHL is just a better airport for delays.

Latest resources

Back