Piston to turbine....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

snarfnaj421

I'm flying a twin Cessna (Part 91) exclusively for 1 customer. Lately he's been talking a lot about upgrading to a King Air or an older, smaller Citation. I've only flown piston. total time is about 2600, including 1700 multi. Can anyone point me in the right direction, as to which insurance companies would be willing to insure this risk, with these credentials? ( provided, I will go to school and fly a certain amount of hours under the supervision of a qualified pilot ). Has anybody dealt with this before? Thanks in advance....

snarfnaj421 said:
...I will go to school and fly a certain amount of hours under the supervision of a qualified pilot...
Ask your current broker if they will shop the market for you. If they can't then ask for a recommendation. With school under your belt, you will be very insurable in a turboprop. However, with your current experience (no previous jet time), it might well be a challenge finding single-pilot coverage in a jet at a less than obnoxiously ridiculous price. You will have no problems get SIC coverage in a jet provided the PIC has enough experience. Even if you could, do you really want to fly a jet single-pilot?

'Sled

Last edited:
I doubt that you can be insured PIC on the Citation with zero turbine time.

You can probably swing the King Air PIC but it will probably be very costly for insurance.

Hopefully the owner really likes you and is willing to spend the extra money (could be a lot of extra money) for you to remain PIC.

If the owner goes that route you probably need to prepare yourself for the possibility of being SIC to the new guy hired, or let go completly in favor of a more insurable single pilot.

I am not trying to be mean here, I have a friend that shot himself in the foot like that years back, he encouraged his boss to go turbine without thinking it through and ended up losing his job because he was too expensive to insure.

Have a back up plan, just in case. Also as said above, speak with your insurance broker before the purchase and see what can be done and for what cost. Some of the companies are getting nuts on the requirements and some are not too bad. Still, a lot will depend on how much the owner wants you as the pilot.

Last edited:
KeroseneSnorter said:
I doubt that you can be insured PIC on the Citation with zero turbine time.

You can probably swing the King Air PIC but it will probably be very costly for insurance.

Hopefully the owner really likes you and is willing to spend the extra money (could be a lot of extra money) for you to remain PIC.

If the owner goes that route you probably need to prepare yourself for the possibility of being SIC to the new guy hired, or let go completly in favor of a more insurable single pilot.

I am not trying to be mean here, I have a friend that shot himself in the foot like that years back, he encouraged his boss to go turbine without thinking it through and ended up losing his job because he was too expensive to insure.

Have a back up plan, just in case. Also as said above, speak with your insurance broker before the purchase and see what can be done and for what cost. Some of the companies are getting nuts on the requirements and some are not too bad. Still, a lot will depend on how much the owner wants you as the pilot.
Very good points. I'd probably also recommend that you ask your insurance guy what kind of options you will have before you get the boss all hot and bothered about switching - I've also heard of guys talking themselves right out of a job. When you talk to your insurance guy ask him what if any difference it would make if you had your ATP. It not a big deal in a jet, just have the written passed when you go for the check ride. If you end up going with a turboprop it becomes a little more spendy since there's no type ride for you to accomplish. You'll have to come up with the $$$ out of your own pocket.

'Sled

Last edited:
I made the jump from the 421 to a King Air 200. I had about 150-200 hours SIC in the plane, and formal training at Simcom. I run a KA 91 and 135. I'm not sure what I cost to insure, but it can be done.

Thanks for the input, guys. And good to see that it can be done, 421Driver. Just for the record, this is the bossman's own idea. Matter of fact, I'm trying to talk him out of it, for now, in the most diplomatic way possible, for all the reasons mentioned by you all. Just need a little more time. thanks again!

I used to be an aviation insurance broker for a well known agency. In my experience, with you times, a turbo-prop transition would not be out of the question. The underwriter will probably require 25-75 hours of dual after school with a qualified captain that meets the Open Pilot Warranty in the insurance policy. If the underwriter has had his/her coffee already and is in a good mood, you may get away with school only.

As far as the Citation 500-series idea is concerned; you are probably uninsurable right now with no previous turbine experience. A specialty insurance company with your broker may be able to work out a deal that goes something like this: Manufacturers reccommended ground and flight school plus 100-200 hours dual (and ATP). The best course would be to get a jet insured with a high time captain and you as a named SIC after type school.

If your boss values your opinion, and you can steer him into a light turbo-prop, you are more likely to be insured at a decent price.

You may PM for further information if you wish.

Flydaddy

I wass in this situation a while back with almost your exact times and experience. I was quoted 19K annually for single pilot ops in a King Air 200. Sorry, can't remember the company though. It is possible. They only required formal training and 25 hours in type.

Latest resources

Back