Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Insatiable

Which would be better?

Flying a piston twin, single pilot for a Part 135. Or flying a twin turbine for a Part 121. Both opportunities would provide about the same amount of time after one year.

WOW

This one is going to be turned into one of those never ending, never answering the original question kindda post.

And what's going to make it so is that you are providing with very litlle information about each gig. It is not like if you were going to work for the same company and same pay, where you could choose 135 or 121 Piston or turbine, it also depends on your goals, your age, your likes etc, etc, etc, etc....

I think generally, you will get more answers favoring multicrew multiengine turbine over anything.

Me, I fly gliders, soon a CL-65 and have flown everything in between, but if I could have it my way, put one of each in my airplane, like the old B-36 Peacemaker.

Alright kids, let the contest begin!!!!!

What do you want?

The answer lies in you. What do you want to do with your career? If it's Airlines then go for the 121 operation. This will give you great experience for your career in 121. We are also in a downturn of the industry hiring and getting your foot in now would not be a bad idea so you can upgrade within this decade. Just go with a decent carrier like ASA, ACA, ComAir, Chiquita or someone who you think will be around in 6 months and 6 years cause you may be there for that long.
Single pilot 135. That's a dangerous combination. Been there done that and I will tell you that I sure hope I don't have to go back. Here is the thing: you have roughly 1100 hours and probably no experience to speak of (no offense) so do you want to take that into a quality regional and be molded for the Majors which they love. Your resume will get better results with a good regional rather than a lot of Seneca time. Let me know what you are thinking.

Good Luck

Go 121

I agree with the others. Don't even consider time accumulation. Consider it in terms of quality time. Turbine time doesn't grow on trees, twin turbine time is worth its weight in gold, twin turbine 121 time is probably as good as it gets, especially if it's PIC.

After one year flying a piston twin - you are looking for a 121 job

After one year flying a 121 turbine twin - you are looking for a upgrade to captain.

FD

Few More Questions....

Before we can truely help you out, we need to know a few more things.

1. What is the Part 121 Job all about? How long till you upgrade? Is it a Beech 1900 or a CL-65? Is it Great Lakes or ACA? Many things to consider. Tell us More.

2. What is the Part 135 Job all about? You are flying PIC, right? Does this company operate turbine planes too?

Don't totally bash on the Part 135 job until all the facts have been discussed. He could be flying A C-421 as PIC, building PIC time. This company could have some other turbine airplanes that he could move into later. The opportunity for turbine PIC time would be great. For someone being hired today at a 121 operation, the upgrade times are gonna be a long way away, could be 5-7 years with the current growth / attrition rates. Upgrade times at a Part 135 turbine operation could be a year or two.

Keep in mind, the old rules no longer apply.

After being a CFI, I worked for a Part 135 operation that had both piston and turbine aircraft. That experience boosted me to where I am today...with a Fortune 100 company flight department.

Good Luck,
JetPilot500

Latest resources

Back