Piper Seminole Cost Anaylsis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BLing

Im looking into the possibilty of purchasing a Seminole. I was wondering what the approximate operating cost per hour is on one? Any help from Seminole owners would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you're not thinking of buying one for personal use with Avgas costing around $4/gal. If you are the average person who flies 100 hours/year, figure around $150/hr. Fuel price, Insurance, Hangar/tiedown have the greatest impact on hourly cost.

I don't think anybody makes money with leasebacks either. I leased an Aztec when I had a flight school and any money the owner made was offset by the increased insurance premiums and additional maint. cost. And this was with discounted fuel and maint. and a sweetheart deal on the insurance.

I just want to give dual instruction in it at the lowest possible price. Im not really looking to make money with it because I know thats hard to do. But if I can break even with it and rack up my hours, that would be great. Who knows, maybe I could be sucessful with it. Thats why I am asking what it would cost me an hour to operate.

How about these numbers:
Fuel Cost/hr: $56
Maint/hr:...... 30
Eng. Reserve: 20
Insurance....8000/yr (May be MUCH higer...haven't checked lately)

More later...

Any particular year your looking for? New, old, indifferent? This also could play a big difference in your choice as well.

Continued...

...Now consider tiedown (insurance and banks like hangars, but it's your choice), GPS databases, and other misc. costs like cleaning supplies, cases of engine oil, funnels, rags, chocks, etc.

And to purchase a $120,000 airplane, you'd need:
10% down: $12,000
25% Insurance Premium (finance the rest): $2000
Closing costs: $1000
Pre-buy Inspection: $700 (or $2000+ for an annual)

Latest resources

Back