Piper Navajo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Leardriver,

If you had the mixtures leaned out during your stall practice, and moved the power levers up in that condition above barometric, that would account for your double failure. On most turbo'd engines, the mixtures should be rich before advancing the power beyond barometric.

Typically a failure caused in this condition will not immediately be remedied until fuel flow is restored throughout the system. Another possibility is bad maintenance, and another is induction leaks (though if you were operatiing above barometric at any time, you'd probably have already discovered those, and there is little liklihood of the same thing occuring on both engines. If you had a weak controller and you had boost pumps on, you may simply have flooded the engine.

While hindsight is always 20-20, don't wait to declare an emergency, especially in the case of a double engine failure, for fear that someone will find out you "did something wrong." That's just not important until you're on the ground.

I remember pulling the breakers on the pumps, but it was for wear and tear becuase they come on when the power is on the A/C.

And the start procedure when hot was boost pump on mixture rich for about 2 seconds or so and then idle cutoff, then start the engine, it would fire everytime.

I was also the mechanic on the things as well, let me tell you, it was a pain in the old rear.

No doubt about it, the old "ho" liked to be teased with all the time.

LR25

Latest resources

Back