• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear70 said:
Reserve Period 0400-1600.
O400? Ouch!

I think that picture was in Brazil, if I remember correctly. So did this guy end up getting in much trouble, or was he able to clear everything up?

He was an American Airlines captain down in South America somewhere right about the time the U.S. started a program here in the U.S. for everyone coming through customs if they weren't U.S. Citizens.

The U.S. would make up cards with serial numbers on them and make foreign nationals visiting stop and have their picture taken with it, like a police line-up or a mug shot. The foreign governments didn't appreciate it very much, so they instituted a similar deal in THEIR country, JUST for U.S. citizens. Including the crew.

This "cheeky fellow" decided to add his idea of "keeping up foreign relations" (TG) to his number he was given in his picture. He was thrown in jail for several weeks in South America for his trouble. I think the airline didn't discipline him, figuring he'd learned his lesson about stirring the pot in a foreign country where our laws of "innocent until proven guilty" don't really apply and the penal system isn't as pleasant.

Still makes for a funny picture, though. :D

Latest resources

Back