Pinnacle thoughts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jeff99gr

Just recieved an opportunity for an interview with Pinnacle. Just wondering QOL, and overall environment. I live in the Detroit area and would love to be based here, any chance of that. Also estimate of upgrade times and reserve time. Keep in mind I'm a flight instructor who would love to not have to teach landings anymore. Advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
jeff99gr said:
Just recieved an opportunity for an interview with Pinnacle. Just wondering QOL, and over environment. I live in the Detroit area and would love to be based here, any chance of that. Also estimate of upgrade times and reserve time. Keep in mind I'm a flight instructor who would love to not have to teach landings anymore. Advice would be appreciated.

If you live in Detroit go for it. QOL is hard to tell you because the next few months is unknown here. Upgrade time is also unknown.. Ull get 10 days off min a month.. Reserve is also unknown..this month for DTW FO there are only 6 on reserve and I have been called by Sched to be Junior Manned twice this month already ( I did not answer and im not junior) so you will be worked...once you do get a line it might be a Highspeed line..excellent for someone that lives here you'll be home every day.
Do the interview get some experience and if you like what they say sign yourself up good luck

Sorry to ask stupid question

What's "Junior Manned"

Pilot is needed so they start at the bottom of the seniority list and start calling. Really means nothing 1100 pilots I'm around 620 and I get JM a lot in dtw when coming off a trip. When your off, it's who ever answers their phone.

CoATP said:
What's "Junior Manned"

When they have no more reserves usually and they need a flight covered within the next couple of hours they call pilots that have that day off starting from the bottom of the seniority list and if someone picks up the phone they HAVE to do it and if you refuse they put a refusal on ur scheduele and you have to talk to the base mananger or chief pilot explaning why you were not able to do it. It is suppose to be use very rarely but at pinnacle it is part of the daily grimme that goes on in sched.

So a beer every day off is a good thing?

Interview

I recommend going to the interview, for practice at least. Pinnacle works for some and not other's. Living in Domicile is huge though, therefore even sitting on reserve can be a good thing, except now with the attrition we're experiencing. Things will turn around so I would at least go chek it out.

BOHICAgain said:
When they have no more reserves usually and they need a flight covered within the next couple of hours they call pilots that have that day off starting from the bottom of the seniority list and if someone picks up the phone they HAVE to do it and if you refuse they put a refusal on ur scheduele and you have to talk to the base mananger or chief pilot explaning why you were not able to do it. It is suppose to be use very rarely but at pinnacle it is part of the daily grimme that goes on in sched.
Junior Manned or Junior Assigned is built into the staffing model at this place. As are extensions, hence the new LOA's. You learn how to stratically bid to avoid them, you learn how to avoid the phone calls and if you get tagged what to say and how to get out of it.

It will get much worse before it gets better.

All in all.. if you live in domicile (DTW), lines are built for the handful of non-commuter pilots. Those lines generally are not that bad, you will spend more time in your own bed than out of it.

I would suggest though, that you get the earliest interview possible... the hiring phase will be short lived and those hired first are guaranteed lines and the rest will be reserves and looking for a new job.
Getting DTW should not be that hard out of training.. Getting a line would be in terms of up to 3 months in DTW. Once you get a line, don't expect more than 12 off for the 1st year to 18 months unless upgrades start up again.

Upgrades.. 3-5 is a safe bet, most of that is simple attrition. If (big IF) more flying comes our way it would decrease. HR will tell you differently, but take the words of line pilots.

QOL.. we are a regional.. remember that and you will understand the QOL you will get. It is all what you make of it. Live with parents or a sugar mommy/daddy and this job is tolerable. Each persons QOL is different.. We have CA's who have been here 10+ years and are happy and comfortable with life and the contract. Then again they make $80K and have 16 days off. It all comes down to what you can accept.

Latest resources

Back