Pinnacle sim ride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Spinplate

Pinnacle uses a Frasca 242. I have no time in this sim. I have plenty of time in an AST-300 and FlightSafety in the 300-400 series Cessna sim. Is the Frasca pretty easy to fly?? Im pretty comfortable with simulators, but is there anything that I should need to know? Very sensitive? Thanks!!

Since when have we had a Frasca? Are they using someone else's sim for the interview rides?

Anyway, I used to instruct in a Frasca 242T that was set up as a BE-1900. I'm not all that familiar with the AST, but I can tell you that Frasca just doesn't make an easy-to-fly sim. The 242 is no exception. Pitch sensitivity is the biggest problem. Trim it as best you can, but you'll still have to spend a lot of your scan on the altimeter and VSI. The thing can go from a VS of 0 fpm to 2000 fpm in a split second. Other than the pitch it really isn't that bad. It'll hold a bank angle pretty steady. Just make sure your scan is good before going to the interview and you should be ok.

PCL_128 said:
Since when have we had a Frasca? Are they using someone else's sim for the interview rides?

Anyway, I used to instruct in a Frasca 242T that was set up as a BE-1900. I'm not all that familiar with the AST, but I can tell you that Frasca just doesn't make an easy-to-fly sim. The 242 is no exception. Pitch sensitivity is the biggest problem. Trim it as best you can, but you'll still have to spend a lot of your scan on the altimeter and VSI. The thing can go from a VS of 0 fpm to 2000 fpm in a split second. Other than the pitch it really isn't that bad. It'll hold a bank angle pretty steady. Just make sure your scan is good before going to the interview and you should be ok.

Thanks PCL!! Its a frasca 242 configured as a Baron. Thats all I know, but thanks for the heads up. Thats pretty much what Ive heard from everyone else. A flight school has one here in Scottsdale but they are pricks and wont give me any dual instruction in it because I used to work for their competition. Aviation industry can be a cry baby industry sometimes, DAMN!!

I instructed alot in a Frasca and then had to do an interview (at ACA a few years back) in an AST-300 and had the same problem (though I passed the ride). As was posted, the Frasca is much more pitch sensitive but not nearly as roll sensitive as the AST-300. Scan-scan-scan, but with an extra emphasis (almost the hub of the scan) on the altimeter and VSI for constant altitude or constant rate maneuvers, respectively. Oh yeah, as per any sim or aircraft with electric trim, trim in short clicks, rather than holding down the trim for any length of time, because otherwise it is very easy to overtrim.

Last edited:
Spinplate said:
Is the Frasca pretty easy to fly?? Im pretty comfortable with simulators, but is there anything that I should need to know? Very sensitive? Thanks!!
Don't try to take it to FL410.

HMR said:
Don't try to take it to FL410.

Nice! LOL From the new gouges I really only just fly. They have all the frequencies in and everything. Pretty simple approach profile from what Ive heard at least.

Fly with your finger tips. you get it trimmed out and it'll drop after a while or climb. Used the screen once while I taking off.

The sim is based on constant motion. If you fly with your finger tips and just lightly osillate the controls, it will hold straight and level........let the yoke sit still and your going for a ride. Although they say it's configured like a baron, it will fly like a king air.......and you'll really impress the sim evaluator if you don't roll it or take the high speed taxiway at 120knts. Good luck........both in the sim and at the company.

TinGoose1 said:
The sim is based on constant motion. If you fly with your finger tips and just lightly osillate the controls, it will hold straight and level........let the yoke sit still and your going for a ride. Although they say it's configured like a baron, it will fly like a king air.......and you'll really impress the sim evaluator if you don't roll it or take the high speed taxiway at 120knts. Good luck........both in the sim and at the company.

Thanks TinGoose!

Pitch/VSI

Like everyone else said, really watch the pitch. Where people get in trouble is by overreacting when they see the VSI start shooting up or down. Don't chase the VSI. Think in terms of control pressures rather than movements.

Latest resources

Back