Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle...should I stay or should I go now..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CRJohn

Well, the latest upgrade awards are out and I am not even close.

I have over 4,000 hours, most of it in jets. I am thinking about throwing in the towell and heading somewhere that I could expect an upgrade in the next two years. Part of me says to stick it out, but another part is looking for a better opportunity.

Any suggestions about companies to look at would be appreciated.

Thanks,

A man called John

It's a huge gamble choosing a carrier that will have an upgrade at 2 years if you get hired now. You're probably better off staying where you're at.

The Clash...80s....loved 'em!

The other question is did you go there for the street captain gig and not get it, if so get the he!! out. Do you really want to be FO to some gulfstream punk.

If you have invested a lot of time at PCL and you for see upgrade with in the next 2 years or so; you are probably better off staying where you are. Of course there are other variables: Pay, QOL, and your Commute.

Best of luck in your Decision.

That's a pretty easy one, as long as everything remains constant (which we know in aviation nothing does).

1. Pinnacle is done growing... probably for a LONG time.
2. NWA is going to file Chapt 11 in the next few months and during the process probably completely renegotiating our ASA, making it VERY difficult, if not impossible, to get good contract improvements and probably drawing out our negotiations MUCH longer as we still insist on some basic items.
3. Everyone senior to you is building the time to upgrade, so by the time awards MIGHT get to you, people senior to you will get them (happened the last several years, probably will happen again).
4. Quality Of Life, for the most part here at PCL, sucks.

All that boils down to LONG upgrade times here at PCL. IMHO anyone who has solid jet time and is marketable at another carrier where the QOL is better and upgrade times are quicker should probably get the h*ll out.

The upside to that is by the time we get ready to vote and you're still here, you'll either a.) be ready to give in for a chance at upgrade or b.) be so pissed off that you'll be ready to vote NO to anything but the best of contracts. Personally, I like B, but I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck!

If you bolt what is the airline your saying has a quick upgrade? I think I may try to stick it out. Especially if you've been there a while and can hold a decent schedule. I would question any lateral move at the moment. The quick upgrade you might be thinking of might come to a halt by the end of the year. Or you could just roll the dice and see what happens.

Meiguy said:
If you bolt what is the airline your saying has a quick upgrade? I think I may try to stick it out. Especially if you've been there a while and can hold a decent schedule.
That's the problem here at PCL,,, unless you live in domicile, there ARE no good schedules. Average days off are running in the high 12's, low 13's and lines are, for the most part, uncommutable (unless you're in MEM and then the trips are so unproductive you still end up with 13 or 12 days off if you're trying to fly 85 hours or so).

If the schedules / management practices here were better I'd tend to agree with you, but they're not.

My advice would be to stay. We had FO's leave during our contract negotations and most of them would now be Captains. Wait and see what happens at NWA and that will be a good indicator if you should jump ship.

Latest resources

Back