Pinnacle Pilots: "Just wanted to have fun"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
chperplt said:
Change the word Captain here to crew and I agree with you.. The FO is just as much to blame here as the guy in the left seat.

I did single the Captain out on purpose. I did use the term "they", but changed it to "captain" before posting. The reason is the captain sets the tone. The Captain put the FO into a position that required him to be "assertive". Yes, the FO failed that test. The FO failed to rise to the challenge of overcoming the captain's lack of seriousness and aptitude. But the captain should not have put the FO in that position. I would call the blame 75% captain, 25% first officer.

Wasted,

I agree with what you're saying..

I guess the problem lies within the training departments of most(all??) regionals in that they do not adequately train FOs how to be assertive. With the advent of the 500 hour wonder kid flying a passenger jet, there is a lack of experience in stepping up to the plate and speaking their minds. These kids haven't much spoken up to mom and dad yet let alone an airline captain.

As much as we train in CRM that the power curve is only slightly tilted toward the captain (In comparison to the old days), we still teach FOs that they are really just FOs and to be careful when speaking up... Maybe that's something the FAA needs to take a look at.

This seems like a great time to give Kudos to: Fred Harrington, Jim Kley, and Steve Tillotson.

Fred taught my intial newhire class at MESA in 1990. Jim Kley was my B1300 instructor at Mesa, and Steve taught me how to fly the Brasila.

These people (and other MESA guys whose names I've forgotten) took their job seriously. They went out of their way to ensure that we understood the hazards associated with our kind of flying. That being a lot of flying in and around the mountains. I'm sure that when they became jet instructors, they gave that job the same level of respect and attention.

Thanks Ya'll

Instead of trashing regional training, lets acknowledge those who are good. Not that PCL doesn't need trashing, Lord knows that must be true, I'm just looking for something positive.

enigma

Ya, I know Tilly turned into a Freedumb guy. He was still a good instructor.

Borrowed Thoughts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect."
— Captain A. G. Lamplugh, British Aviation Insurance Group, London. Circa early 1930's

Whenever we talk about a pilot who has been killed in a flying accident, we should all keep one thing in mind. He called upon the sum of all his knowledge and made a judgment. He believed in it so strongly that he knowingly bet his life on it. That his judgment was faulty is a tragedy, not stupidity. Every instructor, supervisor, and contemporary who ever spoke to him had an opportunity to influence his judgment, so a little bit of all of us goes with every pilot we lose. — author unknown

This accident is indeed a tragedy for it it clearly did not "happen" but was caused by a crew possessed with alll three of the traits that Lamplugh warns about, carelessness, incapacity and neglect.

I seldom agree with TonyC, buat this time he is right, and so is TIS. The attitude of these pilots is a major factor in the probable cause. The pilot in command (I won't call him Captain for there was none on board that flight) was himself devoid of any semblance of discipline and failed completely the "boy" that shared his cockpit and was his charge.

Whatever the reason, the "culture" of the young men's airline let them down completely and is a major contributing factor in their demise. I have no personal knowledge of the training they obviously did not receive or were permitted to totally ignore. But, the recording makes it quite clear that they were both in an evironement, both before and after the "upset", that was completely beyond their individual or collective scope. Both paid a price too high for this neglect.

God rest their souls

Just a thought but,

Sometimes when we have outside pressures like home, kids, money, family, issues going on that are really pressing, some folks might feel a bit reckless at times like this.

Might Jesse have been dealing with some of this? Just a theory? He had 2 young kids, with a third new one soon on the way, a stay at home wife (I think she is stay at home), possible a new mortgage? And other possible unknowns to us, maybe an issue was coming to a boil?

You know, have you ever felt like you were gonna crack? Overwhelmed?

Maybe?

I ask this because, Jesse's actions in the climb with the yankin and pushin are very random and distructive, almost impossible for me to imagine someone doing, unless they were really feeling over the edge about something.

I have spoken with people that knew Jesse and his family and I don't want this to come off wrong, he and his FO are dead and may they rest is pease.

-Goo

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back