Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Detroitpilot22

Ok i need the forums help!
I would like to know as much about Pinnacle as possible. I have an interview later this month. Please no sarcastic remarks, I am well aware that they had a CRJ go down. I would like some info from people who work there.
Amount of time spent on reserve?
Can I hold Detroit Quickly?
What is reserve like? How many days on and off and are they grouped together?
Upgrade times?
This second certificate they are trying to start? Is it the same thing that Trans States is doing with GO JETS?
Is it an easy commute from Chicago?
Overall Quality of life?

Thanks to anyone that can help

Skip all the second certificate stuff as well as contract negotiations and come to Mesaba. I know it doesn't answer your question and no offense to anyone.

MM

Detroit is probably the most junior out of the 3 bases. So if thats what you want, you will get it.

listen to Mesabi miner about the contract negotiations and second cert. Those are a long ways away. Pinnacle gets its last jet in august and Mesaba has the next 35 jets for NWA. so growth and upgrade might be better at Mesaba.

blackbox said:
Detroit is probably the most junior out of the 3 bases. So if thats what you want, you will get it.

listen to Mesabi miner about the contract negotiations and second cert. Those are a long ways away. Pinnacle gets its last jet in august and Mesaba has the next 35 jets for NWA. so growth and upgrade might be better at Mesaba.

It seems it goes back and forth. Back when the Mesaba contract was coming to its ammendable date (and through contract negotiations), they received their last Avro, and no more aircraft. All this while, PNCL grew like crazy with ALL the CRJ deliveries.

Now, it's the other way around. PNCL is going through contract negotiations, and will receive their last aircraft for a while since Mesaba gets the next 35 CRJs.

It's ALL up to NWA management, not Mesaba, not PNCL.

For FOs detroit is extremely senior due to all the streamers up there who can not upgrade but you should be able to get it a few months after if you dont get it initially. Oh yeah and kiss your life goodbye because they will junior man you and extend you until they can't legally do it anymore.

Last edited:
ya i used to work ramp for 9e, as an airline thier very disorganized , I ve seen flights delyed on mechanical because 9e was months behind on bills to the FBO (Duncan Aviation KLNK) and they refused to fix an N2 sensor. Anyway its a Part 121 job w/a decent upgrade and thats all that really matters at this point. My CFI has been there since Aug/04 and he's up for captain in early OCT/05...not bad at all if you love flyin and your willin to put w/a little crap like you will any where else

explain the lingo

For FOs detroit is extremely senior due to all the streamers up there who can not upgrade but you should be able to get it a few months after if you dont get it initially. Oh yeah and kiss your life goodbye because they will junior man you and extend you until they can't legally do it anymore.

What does Junior MAn mean?

Amount of time spent on reserve?

It varies, it can be quick it may be years.. Personally we are hring another 300 pilot's, so for RIGHT now it will be short.

Can I hold Detroit Quickly?

immediately to within 2-3 months

What is reserve like? How many days on and off and are they grouped together?

Min 10 day's off, but read my JA answer below. 5 on 2 off, 6 on 3 off, it varies.

Upgrade times?

3500TT or 3000 with 500 company time

This second certificate they are trying to start? Is it the same thing that Trans States is doing with GO JETS?

Similar to GO Jet's... they "plan" on something by Xmas, but I would not count on it.. Maybe within a year and what it will be is anyone's guess.

Is it an easy commute from Chicago?

Since we use MDW/RFD/MKE/ORD (depending on where you live) you have choices. We have several DTW guys who live in Chicago and I have not heard any complaints about the commute.

Overall Quality of life?

We are a regional, if you can accept that then you already know the quality of life. Sorry to be vague, by everyone's QOL is different. Plan on $17-20K to start with no more than 12 days off for the 1st year. Some commutable trips, some not commutable trips, a contract in section 6, a company that is 2 years behind the growth spurt in support of the pilot group. A managment style that cannot be defined (easily).

What does Junior MAn mean?

Junior manning is the company's way to staff this airline. Currently JA (junior asignments) are built into the staffing model as we are "almost" critically short crews (especially up north).

Planning (a true oxymoron at this company) believes in the just in time approach, although they forget about attrition, growth, training, sickness, vacation, and the list can go on and on.

Bottom line, the contract has a provision for how many JA's in a year (12), although that is not followed as the scheduling software only looks back about 4-6 months before it is archived.

The company can JA into and on days off, thus reducing your days off, they have JA into 30/7 conflicts.

I have seen them take reserves down to 6 days off to cover flying.

For those hopefuls who are seeking a decent job with an ok airline, Pinnacle is an ok company. The pay is not great but the company is going to be around for the next few years. For those of you who are new in this airline world, Pinacle has been around for twenty years and they have been growing almost every year and been profitable every year. There are some great airlines and there are very bad ones. Pinnacle is an ok airline. The paychecks are always on time
For those who wish to be hired at Pinnacle right now please be informed that there will be more airplanes coming. The carrot is being held as negotiations are worked through. This is fact. Just some inside information.
The hiring critera is now more difficult however there is an organization in memphis that helps candidates to be prep'd for this hiring process. I have heard lot of good things about them. They can be reached via email at mempilotinterviews.com. Give them a shot. The last class of interviewees was for ten people and only 2 were hired. Those 2 had been prep'd by the above mentioned
Have a great 4th...........PEACE

Latest resources

Back