Pinnacle gets a $1 mln fine

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoATP

Oct 21 (Reuters) - U.S. regulators have proposed to fine Pinnacle Airlines $1 million for maintenance violations, including a lapsed inspection for engine-related cracking.
Pinnacle, a feeder carrier for Delta Air Lines , United Airlines , and US Airways , flew two Canadair regional jets in 2009 and 2010 that were not in compliance with safety regulations, the Federal Aviation Administration said on Friday.
In one case, Pinnacle operated a jet on 40 flights without performing necessary structural inspections of an engine fan casing, the FAA said.
During that time, the FAA said, an existing crack grew by half-an-inch to 4 inches in length. The part would have to be replaced if the crack on the General Electric engine had grown another half-inch.
The proposed fine also covers allegations that Pinnacle flight crew members performed tasks on another plane over 23 flights that should have been done by maintenance workers.
Pinnacle had no immediate comment on the proposed fine beyond saying it was reviewing the matter. The airline can appeal the penalty.

Between Colgan fines and Pinnacle fines it's gonna be a tough year.

Sure I'll do a Flap fail reset!!!

Sure I'll reset the APU control unit!!!

Anything else I can do for you???

The proposed fine also covers allegations that Pinnacle flight crew members performed tasks on another plane over 23 flights that should have been done by maintenance workers.
That must have the been the door cable. I still remember one time in MEM wondering how that cable/door rig would work, and I had no idea how to do it. Neither did the Captain. How can you do it when you've never been trained? Long story short, we forced MX to come out and do it. That right there prevented me from getting a letter from the FAA, because I know several pilots did get letters who operated it after doing it themselves.

WOW!! Your my hero. You pulled some C/B's. How nice of you to go out of your way.

The problem with just pulling breakers is that you may be masking the real problem and going out side of your companies maintence program - notification, repair, or mel and scheduled repair. And you may have just put the aircraft outside of it's legal airworthness status by voiding the Airworthness Certificate. You may get more than just a nasty letter.

I guess when the FAA can't or won't actually go after real safety issues, like crew fatigue, disallowing certain MEL items (TCAS in high density traffic areas like SoCal), they try to show they're "doing something" with this kind of BS. Funny how these news stories are always very vague - implying that the crew must have taken out their wrenches and did their own engine change.

I'm not talking about pulling CB's idiot. I'm talking about crawling up into the avionics bay/hellhole to do a APU reset. Or another system reset that MX has to talk you through.

Or how about installing the pax door alternate support kit that NOBODY knows anything about, even MTC control? "Trowe a chock under it!" says MTC control.....yeah THATS per the (O) procedure.

I've been asked multiple times.

Last edited:
That must have the been the door cable. I still remember one time in MEM wondering how that cable/door rig would work, and I had no idea how to do it. Neither did the Captain. How can you do it when you've never been trained? Long story short, we forced MX to come out and do it. That right there prevented me from getting a letter from the FAA, because I know several pilots did get letters who operated it after doing it themselves.

The MMEL does not specify who can accomplish the M and O procedures as listed in the MEL itself. That being said, as I have dealt with crews regarding the NWS MEL, I can only advise crews to do what they are trained to do. I am in total agreeance with you, and this issue specifially is being brought up at the MMEL Industry working group in Dallas on Nov 2-3. I will be there and we, ALPA's MMEL working group finally have some sympathtic ears at the FOEB level. Stay tuned.

The problem with just pulling breakers is that you may be masking the real problem and going out side of your companies maintence program - notification, repair, or mel and scheduled repair. And you may have just put the aircraft outside of it's legal airworthness status by voiding the Airworthness Certificate. You may get more than just a nasty letter.

Not quite. The mx procedures have been authorized by Bombardier or component manufacturer and approved by the FAA and TC and adopted by EASA and the like. The airplane was not meant to fly as many cycles as it has and procedures must be adopted to keep the planes flying. Much like Letters of Intent in a pilot contract.

Latest resources

Back