Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyMeSWA

Giddy-up
Found an email in the junk mail folder from a few days ago. Apparently Pinnacle said to come out for an interview. My question is, if I dont have my ATP written done, should I even bother replying? Its not on my resume so they would know I dont have it, but yet it says in the email if you dont have the above documents do not reply. Kinda strange. I wouldnt think they'd send it to me if they didnt want me to reply. Right?

Secondly, I tried to search, and found a line or two about Pinnacle being impossible to work for if you're a commuter. Live in RI need to commute out of PVD, so its either a two leg commute to MEM unless I hop on FedEx, or non stop DTW/MSP. How are the relations with mainline and getting denied?

Thanks all. Carry on...

I've never been denied a jumpseat, but I don't commute on DC-9's either. I think from PVD it's mostly Airbus.

I think the guy that said Pinnacle was imposible to work for if you commute was overstating. A lot of pilots at Pinnacle commute, and they still have jobs, so it's not impossible. Schedules change every month, some months are good for commuting, some are not as good.

It's a LOT easier to commute if you already live in an Eastern Time Zone city to DTW.

The problem I have in Nashville is that we're on Central Time, so that 0700 a.m. flight is actually 0800 DTW time, 1:40 flight block puts me on the ground at 0940 and 80% of the show times are around 0830 - 0930 = no good. If you're already on Eastern Time, you can typically land about 0800 - 0830; that won't give you 2 commute options per the contract, but if you're willing to risk it... (they've fired two probationary pilots in the last month for missing check-ins and not having two commute attempts).

However, this is historically our worst flying line period of the year, things usually get more commutable come April / May, but still not two commute attempts in DTW or MSP. MEM is 50/50 for noon launches and having two commute attempts. I already have one MT (Missed Trip) in the last year so I HAVE to give myself two commute attempts; one more MT and they can fire me according to the company's CURRENT policy (it changes daily and yes, they're firing people for this a lot too recently). Haven't heard how successful the CCC is at getting people's jobs back for Missed Trips.

I almost ALWAYS commute on DC-9's and I've only been denied the J/S on the DC-9's once in 5 years and that was right after last year's Christmas Meltdown and all the DC-9 pilots were told that our pilots were lazy and refused to come to work (I spent 8 hours trying to commute in and DID fly my high-speed that night so I was additionally pissed off). Went out and wrote a pass and STILL got on the airplane. Captain was PISSED but couldn't do a d*mn thing 'cause he knew I'd write him up if he did. Don't worry about getting denied, they're angry and millitant but not stupid, just be professional and you'll get to work.

As far as the ATP written, I couldn't tell you. Personally, I think they'd hire you without one since we have a LOT of guys here who didn't actually get their ATP until their Captain upgrade checkride, but I'm not going to personally say you can DEFINITELY not worry about it. Come to the interview and see if you want...

Good luck!

Last edited:
ATP Written

Last I heard, you can apply and accept an interview date but you must have the written done at the time of the interview.

atp

I interviewed in Nov. and you had to have it. If not you were sent home right away. One guy didn't have his lisense (do to the fact he left it on his copy machine at home, had copies) and they sent him home. Must have, go to ATP if needed.

I was to interview there back in April because I heard they were hiring street CA's for the RJ. I went and took the ATP written at All ATPs in one day, having never studied for it before. Took all day, but passed with no problem. After I found out they did not pay during training or for a hotel, I decided not to even go to the interview. Case and point, they required me to have the ATP written before they would even interview me, CA slot or not.

IFlyFL410 said:
I was to interview there back in April because I heard they were hiring street CA's for the RJ. I went and took the ATP written at All ATPs in one day, having never studied for it before. Took all day, but passed with no problem. After I found out they did not pay during training or for a hotel, I decided not to even go to the interview. Case and point, they required me to have the ATP written before they would even interview me, CA slot or not.

Dude, you wanted to go DIRECTLY to the left seat of an RJ AND wanted the company to pay for your hotel? Dude, that's cheap.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back