• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot's watch

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mechanical watches are designed for the intricacy (think "complications") and marvel of their movements and design, not necessarily for accuracy. If you want accuracy, get a quartz watch or an atomic one as you have. I've had my steel GMT-II for several years and it gains about 4 seconds a day. So? It's still a great looking watch, keeps time in three time zones at the same time if I want it to, and is rugged. Hopefully I'll be able to give it to my kid when he's old enough and if he wants it.

On the matter of accuracy, think of it this way: there are 86,400 seconds in a day. Even if the watch loses 15 MINUTES a day (900 seconds), it is still 99% accurate. How accurate should a mechanical watch with hundreds of parts, often hand-made, be?

You make some good points, BUT:

A. I wish my Breitling only lost 4 seconds a day, it loses 2.5 minutes a day
B. 15 minutes a day is crazy... there's no way
C. I get the whole "movement thing", but you gotta admit, if you pay THAT MUCH for a WATCH, wouldn't one expect an accurate one!

You make some good points, BUT:

A. I wish my Breitling only lost 4 seconds a day, it loses 2.5 minutes a day
B. 15 minutes a day is crazy... there's no way
C. I get the whole "movement thing", but you gotta admit, if you pay THAT MUCH for a WATCH, wouldn't one expect an accurate one!

If it's losing 2.5 minutes a day the movement might need to be regulated/adjusted. That is something that any competent watchmaker should be able to do. I've seem some botched up jobs out there.

A relatively "beneath the radar" brand that, IMO, is one of the better watches around is Ball Watch. I bought one off ebay and have been very happy with it.

http://www.ballwatchusa.com

Mechanical watches were about it, until the 1970s. When quartz technology came about it blew the mechanical watch biz out of the water...

The mechanical or luxury watch industry went to makerting these watches as the marvel of hand made watches that for being so... kept great time....

If you want watch that keeps the best time, it is a quartz. If you want a piece of jewelry that tells pretty good time... go for an Omega, Breitling or Rolex. Until my IRAs are tapped out, I go for a quartz.....

Fossil, millions of watches, most for under $75.

PROTIP: If you have a fossil outlet store nearby you can rack up on watches that look awesome but cost next to nothing while being some of the best made watches of all time, of all time!

Get a timepiece not a watch.

Good: Breitling Navitimer...$3,000

Better: IWC Big Pilot's Watch...$12,000

Best: Patek Philippe World Time...$48,000

where are you finding breitlings for that cheap? I once found a place that sold good knock offs for a few hundred but stopped making the Navitimer.

Fossil, millions of watches, most for under $75.

PROTIP: If you have a fossil outlet store nearby you can rack up on watches that look awesome but cost next to nothing while being some of the best made watches of all time, of all time!
The hands fell off of the only Fossil I ever owned. You get what you pay for.

The hands fell off of the only Fossil I ever owned. You get what you pay for.

Yeah, but according to my math, I can buy a new $60 Timex every year for the next 50 years before I hit the cost of a bargain basement Breitling. Given actuarial probabilities and the fact that I seem to get at least two years from a Timex, I probably won't ever equal the cost of the Breitling.

Oh yeah, and mine keeps time within a few seconds every few months.

Yeah, but according to my math, I can buy a new $60 Timex every year for the next 50 years before I hit the cost of a bargain basement Breitling. Given actuarial probabilities and the fact that I seem to get at least two years from a Timex, I probably won't ever equal the cost of the Breitling.

Oh yeah, and mine keeps time within a few seconds every few months.

You don't have to spend that much for a Breitling. I bought mine for well under $2k, it keeps time to within a 3-4 seconds per year and when I pass it on to my grandson it will be worth more than what I paid for it. For the record I didn't buy it as an investment nor to create a family heirloom. I just wanted it and I could afford it. Some guys spend their disposable income on Beemers and single malt scotch. I spend mine on fine watches and titanium bicycles. To each his own.....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back