Pilots to lawmakers: Delay United/Continental alliance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xcrjdriver

Pilots at UAL Corp.'s (NASDAQ:UAUA) United Airlines Inc. opened a new front in their war with management on Tuesday, urging the Obama administration and Congress to delay the scheduled May 31 granting of antitrust immunity to United's partnership with Continental Airlines Inc. (NYSE:CAL) so that pilots can have a chance to voice their concerns.

United's branch of ALPA warned that the codeshare, part of Continental's entry into the international Star Alliance, "has the potential to outsource tens of thousands of American jobs" and could also "take experienced pilots off international routes."

"There has never been a more pressing time for Congress and the Obama Administration to step in to prevent even more middle-class American jobs from being outsourced," United Captain Steve Wallach, chairman of the airline's union executive council, said in a statement. "However, with its tentative approval of Antitrust Immunity for the STAR Alliance, the Department of Transportation has opened the door for more job losses and pay cuts for American workers."

Tensions between management and the union have been running high ever since the airline's more than three year stay in bankruptcy, which ended in February 2006. Pilots lost their pension plan and took pay cuts as part of that reorganization and have been fighting since then to restore what they lost.

The airline won an injunction from a U.S. District Court judge in its hometown of Chicago last November ordering ALPA not to engage in any slowdowns or other work actions against the company. The union is also fighting a United plan to partner with Irish carrier Aer Lingus plc on certain trans-Atlantic flights, and has waged a very public campaign to try to oust CEO Glenn Tilton that includes operating a special Web site devoted to the cause. - Lou Whiteman

I am not suprised UA pilots are concerned, but CAL pilots are apathetic. CAL pilots will sheep at the slaughter during a merger in the face of a unified, cohesive, organized group of fighters such as the UA pilots. Plus with the weak CAL ALPA at the helm, the battle should be easily won by UAL ALPA

I am not suprised UA pilots are concerned, but CAL pilots are apathetic. CAL pilots will sheep at the slaughter during a merger in the face of a unified, cohesive, organized group of fighters such as the UA pilots. Plus with the weak CAL ALPA at the helm, the battle should be easily won by UAL ALPA

"Yeah whatever"

I can only hope to be a Brain surgeon someday.

UUhhh.....are we talking about United Airlines or something else? I'm confused.

The current CAL contract has lower standards in all sections than a bankrupt three time negotiated UAL contract.

Nice fight CAL. Hows is CAL ALPA's requests at improvements going? Do you say pretty please or just smile when given the terms?

How about those duty rigs?
How about the scheduling or reserve?
How about vacation?
How about training?
How about staffing? How are those captains doing sitting in the right seat? How about those three FO's flying a international leg? Nice work.

Well, this is an old argument. I'm not going to waste my time. First of all, you work for UAL. I don't think I have to argue anything. Ya ya ya....CAL blows, CAL sucks, CAL this CAL that. We know this, it's an old argument. I'm not happy with my situation, but like your sign on name says....LUCKYTOHAVEAJOB. I'm confident we'll have a new and improved contract. Hell, it can't get any worse. We've TA'd many sections so far with greater improvements, but we haven't hit the economic sections. I believe it's coming out soon with our next negotiation session. Who knows what will happen. I believe in our new leadership in EWR and stand by them and trust them. What's my choice? Basically I'm done with complaining. I came here for the potential and age 65 screwed us all. Oh well. It's temporary and eventually things will pick up. My guess is that it'll pick up this year. Recalls will happen, hiring will happen, and a new contract will come. Anyhow, best of luck to you and your fellow pilots at UAL. Everyone has a career to protect and a family to provide. I believe once you get past the "my airline is cooler than yours" and realize there's lives and careers behind each airline, you'll tone it down. Anyhow.........................

Latest resources

Back