• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots that surf

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stop it! You guys are killing me! I'm landlocked, and I'd probably have to chisel the cobwebs off of my boards!

Good post!
With some creative thinking, I've been able to follow a career path in aviation that supports my surfing, windsurfing, and snowboarding needs. As an Army rotorhead, my first tour was Germany. Lots of autobahn roadtrips to the Alps. (Thule car racks WILL hold at 120mph). Next tour was Hawaii. Surfed all the time.

Returned to CA and worked as a flight instructor and snowboard instructor. Double whammy, some hair loss.

Back in Hawaii flying 737s. The surfboard gets worked occasionally, but I windsurf every chance I get. There's a place I sail just off the approach end of the airport. The key is to sail towards the impact zone when a 747 spools up. You hang on for dear life and go screaming down the line.

Only one problem with surfing and flying. Always seems the best days are when your looking down at perfection, it's the last day of the swell, and you work till after dark.

Priority #1 is your career, the rest will follow.

Freight Dog... Hush hush with the Hawaii lifestyle. I'm building hours in Florida and can't wait to get back home. Call me greedy but, to any of you out there... Hawaii is horrible, it's all crowded and super expensive to live, there are hardly ANY waves, and the weather sucks.

Nice try list2002 :)

A lot of my friends fly interisland so they can surf. You get to fly a new 717, fly six to eight legs a day in about 8 hours (5am to noon-1pm, or noon to 7pm-8pm depending on your schedule), and surf the rest of the time. No, we don't get the pay of the majors, but we're doing OK, don't have anyone on furlough, and if you don't want to surf every day, you can fly the 767 on two or three day trips and be back in Hawaii for a few days off in the water. Just another day in paradise.

HAL

CARVEMASTER said:
The key is to sail towards the impact zone when a 747 spools up. You hang on for dear life and go screaming down the line.

Does anybody see what I see here? CARVEMASTER and 747's..

Reminds me of the movie Pushing Tin when Billy Bob Thornton "cleanses himself of his sins" with 747 wake turbulence, except our boy CARVEMASTER does it in the water instead of concrete. :D

Boy, you have a long way to go till you are fully exonerated there CARVEBOY ;)

We've got alot of people sitting reserve and not being called at my company, i've been skateing more this summer than I have all year! This winter looks promising too for being able to go snowboarding while sitting reserve. As someone else already mentioned, a hurt wrist or a folded ankle wouldnt be that fun to explain to the chief!

Maybe ill go down south this winter and learn to surf.....

Hey 350Driver do you fly out of San Diego county somewhere?

What happens when you get hurt off the job when you work for an airline? I race dirt bikes and skateboard so I always have something broke or near broke.

Last edited:
hey,
down here in Boliver, not as clean as I wish it were, but what are you gonna do. Any of you guys out in Hawaii know of a guy that flys for Hawaiian Airlines named Duff, may be retired by now. If so would you please PM me a way of getting in touch with him. He inspired me to become a pilot one night at the Little Nell. Mucho gracias.

duder

RIP Donny

Latest resources

Back